The Student Room Group

Pls help me, I'm stressing. GCSE French writing mistakes, how many marks will I lose?

Hi, first of all I am just gonna say that I struggle with obsessive worry and anxiety and I know this seems "small" but it is really affecting me and I am really upset and struggling to move on from this.
So I had my french writing today, GCSE AQA. I realised on the 32 mark question I have made 4 major tense/verb errors. They are:
2 x "tu prefferas oublié" instead of "tu prefferais oublier"
"interessant" instead of "interessants"
"beaucoup de temps à bronzé" instead of "beaucoup de temps à bronzer"

I also know that I would have made some other errors (as everyone does unknowingly) but I imagine any other errors I made were "minor errors" like not adding an "s" on the end of an adjective or putting "le" instead of "la".

So, my question is, how many marks have I just lost (for the 32 marker)? What is the maximum amount of marks I could have recieved if we take into account 4 major and say 4 minor errors?

Basically, I put too much pressure on myself. If I don't get a 9 I will be seriously dissapointed. So far, the listening, speaking and reading exams have gone really well. In the mock, I recieved one mark off a 9 (I was happy with that), however my writitng defintiely went better in the mock than it did today, and if I have just lost more marks in my writing I may have just cost myself that 9. (In the mock I think I got around 52/60 or something for writing).

Please help me, I am quite stressed about this and need some advice as I am struggling to move on. How many marks (as a minimum) could I have lost for making 4 major and at least 4 minor errors in the 32 mark GCSE AQA French Writing question?

Please tell me what you truly think instead of giving me some "bonus" marks because I am stressing so much. I need to know truthfully because in reality I think I am being too harsh on myself and if I know I am recieving honest feedback, I will feel better.

Thank you in advance :smile:
i take edexel french so idk if the marking system is exactly the same but im just letting u know, i got a 9 in my mock and i didnt finish the 150 word essay, so if those were the only errors u made and the other three went well, then u still have a chance for sure. not sure if this will help but i hope it allays ur worries a bit
Original post by amber.07
Hi, first of all I am just gonna say that I struggle with obsessive worry and anxiety and I know this seems "small" but it is really affecting me and I am really upset and struggling to move on from this.
So I had my french writing today, GCSE AQA. I realised on the 32 mark question I have made 4 major tense/verb errors. They are:
2 x "tu prefferas oublié" instead of "tu prefferais oublier"
"interessant" instead of "interessants"
"beaucoup de temps à bronzé" instead of "beaucoup de temps à bronzer"
I also know that I would have made some other errors (as everyone does unknowingly) but I imagine any other errors I made were "minor errors" like not adding an "s" on the end of an adjective or putting "le" instead of "la".
So, my question is, how many marks have I just lost (for the 32 marker)? What is the maximum amount of marks I could have recieved if we take into account 4 major and say 4 minor errors?
Basically, I put too much pressure on myself. If I don't get a 9 I will be seriously dissapointed. So far, the listening, speaking and reading exams have gone really well. In the mock, I recieved one mark off a 9 (I was happy with that), however my writitng defintiely went better in the mock than it did today, and if I have just lost more marks in my writing I may have just cost myself that 9. (In the mock I think I got around 52/60 or something for writing).
Please help me, I am quite stressed about this and need some advice as I am struggling to move on. How many marks (as a minimum) could I have lost for making 4 major and at least 4 minor errors in the 32 mark GCSE AQA French Writing question?
Please tell me what you truly think instead of giving me some "bonus" marks because I am stressing so much. I need to know truthfully because in reality I think I am being too harsh on myself and if I know I am recieving honest feedback, I will feel better.
Thank you in advance :smile:
Honestly, it will affect basically nothing. You may be docked a mark or 2 but will still get a 9. In my mocks, I got 55/60 on the writing paper which isn't perfect but it's a strong 9. And when I opened up the exam, my teacher had littered every page with red pen. I could barely go a line without making some small discrepancy. Examiners care more about ambitious language, even if it's not perfect, and their eyes will most-likely skim over these mistakes, only leaving them with a reminder that they should dock a couple of marks. Hell, in one of my exams, I completely misunderstood one of the 150 bullet-points and still got an 8! I know it's difficult but the best thing you can really do is try to forget about it because there's literally nothing you can do now.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by anonymousquokka
i take edexel french so idk if the marking system is exactly the same but im just letting u know, i got a 9 in my mock and i didnt finish the 150 word essay, so if those were the only errors u made and the other three went well, then u still have a chance for sure. not sure if this will help but i hope it allays ur worries a bit

Thank you so much! I definitely feel a bit better now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by azaaaa9000
Honestly, it will affect basically nothing. You may be docked a mark or 2 but will still get a 9. In my mocks, I got 55/60 on the writing paper which isn't perfect but it's a strong 9. And when I opened up the exam, my teacher had littered every page with red pen. I could barely go a line without making some small discrepancy. Examiners care more about ambitious language, even if it's not perfect, and their eyes will most-likely skim over these mistakes, only leaving them with a reminder that they should dock a couple of marks. Hell, in one of my exams, I completely misunderstood one of the 150 bullet-points and still got an 8! I know it's difficult but the best thing you can really do is try to forget about it because there's literally nothing you can do now.

Thank you so muchhh!! Your kind words mean a lot to me 🙂 You have made me feel a lot better, you are so kind, thank you for taking the time to respond to me 🙂
Original post by amber.07
Thank you so muchhh!! Your kind words mean a lot to me 🙂 You have made me feel a lot better, you are so kind, thank you for taking the time to respond to me 🙂

no worries😁

Quick Reply