The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Are OU degrees recognised by the NHS

Hi i am looking at studying a degree in Psychology at the OU. I have heard that the NHS wont employ you, as you have no placement experience? It would be great to know this before wasting my time. Thanks
(edited 1 month ago)
@-Eirlys-might be able to help you answer this.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by shelby6
Hi i am looking at studying a degree in Psychology at the OU. I have heard that the NHS wont employ you, as you have no placement experience? It would be great to know this before wasting my time. Thanks

Yes they are equal to any other institution. Practical experience is key though, but this does not have to come from a placement (a placement is rarely treated as equal to paid experience, so it is not a silver bullet anyway). Regarding employment, what is it you were hoping to be employed as?

Greg

Greg
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Shelby6

What do you want to do in the NHS? If you want to do the graduate scheme, then the NHS should acknowledge your degree as a legitimate one. If you can get a low level job in the NHS, that may help your chances of being accepted into a grad scheme.
Reply 4
Yes, 100% as the OU degree is just like any other uni. Still holds the same worth
Original post by Shelby6

Of course they would accept an OU degree, but make sure to check for the NHS requirements for your job, other than a degree.

Quick Reply