The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Cambridge Philosophy? (I got a 5 in GCSE Maths

(Btw, there’s a TLDR at the bottom)

Hi, All! I have a question about if I should apply to Cambridge Philosophy or not. (Please be brutally honest)

Basically, I’m getting my predicted grades soon (based on my recent mock results and how I’ve done in key assessments we do every term) and it’s looking like I’m going to be predicted A*A*A* or A*A*A (the one I’m unsure about being philosophy)

Because of this, I’m being encouraged by quite a few staff at college to apply to Oxbridge - however, there’s a problem with this.

Most of my GCSEs were really good (including 4 9s and 2 8s) but, I only got a 5 in maths and a 6 in science.

Therefore, especially given the very analytic and logic-heavy nature of Cambridge philosophy, is it worth me applying?

I’ve asked teachers, and they’re all saying yes - but I’m only wondering if this is because they want to look good?

Also, to pre-empt the responses, I’m not interested in applying to Oxford because they don’t do single honours philosophy and I don’t really want to do Philosophy and Theology or another one of their joint honours.

Sorry for the long post!

TL;DR: Should I apply to Cambridge Philosophy, even though I only got a 5 at Maths GCSE?
All philosophy degrees involve logic to a certain level.

I don't believe Cambridge have any formal GCSE maths requirements.

Analytic philosophy isn't going to assume any background in experimental sciences or maths specifically as far as I'm aware.

Spoiler

Original post by marshallalfie
(Btw, there’s a TLDR at the bottom)
Hi, All! I have a question about if I should apply to Cambridge Philosophy or not. (Please be brutally honest)
Basically, I’m getting my predicted grades soon (based on my recent mock results and how I’ve done in key assessments we do every term) and it’s looking like I’m going to be predicted A*A*A* or A*A*A (the one I’m unsure about being philosophy)
Because of this, I’m being encouraged by quite a few staff at college to apply to Oxbridge - however, there’s a problem with this.
Most of my GCSEs were really good (including 4 9s and 2 8s) but, I only got a 5 in maths and a 6 in science.
Therefore, especially given the very analytic and logic-heavy nature of Cambridge philosophy, is it worth me applying?
I’ve asked teachers, and they’re all saying yes - but I’m only wondering if this is because they want to look good?
Also, to pre-empt the responses, I’m not interested in applying to Oxford because they don’t do single honours philosophy and I don’t really want to do Philosophy and Theology or another one of their joint honours.
Sorry for the long post!
TL;DR: Should I apply to Cambridge Philosophy, even though I only got a 5 at Maths GCSE?

My brutally honest take:

It depends what the circumstances of your 5 in Maths are.

If that 5 is an accurate representation of the best you could have done then that's a massive problem given the highly analytical nature of the Cambridge course. The issue goes a lot deeper than "will I get in" its more along the lines of "can I even do this course if I do get in" (which is the more important question).

If there is some kind of asterisk (you dont have to justify this in the application or to me) on the result then go ahead and apply. e.g. Maybe you were ill on the day, maybe your learning in GCSE maths was heavily disrupted.

If formal logic and abstractions are not something you are good at I would personally be very thorough in checking what different Philosophy courses are like. Cambridge will not be the only one that takes a highly theoretical/analytical approach. I would also quite strongly consider a related or similar course with more of a scope towards humanities subjects. Your grades seem fine but you don't want to end up on the "wrong" course (Philosophy isnt the only subject like this, similar things infamously happen in Physics and certain other subjects). It's possible to fix/ swap courses at University but ideally you do enough research to be confident in what you want to study

Quick Reply