The Student Room Group

English language a level investigation course work

Hi, I was thinking of doing my question on “do women and men use language differently through their emotions” I’m not sure what to write in my investigation specifically. Any pointers to help?
Reply 1
What do you mean by through their emotions? You could study whether women use language to express their emotions/seek emotional support more than men and link it to Tannen? You’d have to either get permission to record conversations between a group of women and men and transcribe it (which is very lengthy) or you’ll have to find examples online e.g: from tv shows to investigate this.
Reply 2
Original post by a_jjj
What do you mean by through their emotions? You could study whether women use language to express their emotions/seek emotional support more than men and link it to Tannen? You’d have to either get permission to record conversations between a group of women and men and transcribe it (which is very lengthy) or you’ll have to find examples online e.g: from tv shows to investigate this.

Hi, I am doing this.
Hi! Year 13 student here and I did mine on language and gender in the courtroom (close enough). I got almost full marks so here are my tips!

You have a really great idea here and it could easily be found in a transcript of a tv show or movie, especially with a female protagonist who may have gone through something traumatic but you will want a piece of data where you can use where you can compare it to the emotions of men too - a documentary is a good one to get this data too!

The first thing you want to do after you get your data is to plan your theorists!! This will help you so much in the analysis of your data as the majority of marks come from theorists linked to your data but make sure to include criticisms of the theories too :smile:

Then you want to focus on your AO1 but only on what is relevant (for example, my court transcript mainly relied on the pragmatics of the courtroom setting). For yours, you may want to take a grammar, lexis/semantics and phonology approach with pragmatically interwoven throughout.

Just mainly make sure everything flows and use subheadings for each paragraph e.g. lexis - this will make the layout easier for the examiner and ensure you gain higher marks. And lastly just be authentic. Examiners love a detailed analysis from your own perspective so keep that in mind!!

Good luck and make sure to talk to your teacher if you’re struggling - they will have the best advice catered to you.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by alexx.xxx
Hi! Year 13 student here and I did mine on language and gender in the courtroom (close enough). I got almost full marks so here are my tips!
You have a really great idea here and it could easily be found in a transcript of a tv show or movie, especially with a female protagonist who may have gone through something traumatic but you will want a piece of data where you can use where you can compare it to the emotions of men too - a documentary is a good one to get this data too!
The first thing you want to do after you get your data is to plan your theorists!! This will help you so much in the analysis of your data as the majority of marks come from theorists linked to your data but make sure to include criticisms of the theories too :smile:
Then you want to focus on your AO1 but only on what is relevant (for example, my court transcript mainly relied on the pragmatics of the courtroom setting). For yours, you may want to take a grammar, lexis/semantics and phonology approach with pragmatically interwoven throughout.
Just mainly make sure everything flows and use subheadings for each paragraph e.g. lexis - this will make the layout easier for the examiner and ensure you gain higher marks. And lastly just be authentic. Examiners love a detailed analysis from your own perspective so keep that in mind!!
Good luck and make sure to talk to your teacher if you’re struggling - they will have the best advice catered to you.

How many theorists would you say to use?
Original post by lilyhundre
How many theorists would you say to use?

Aim for a minimum of 3 I’d say. I think I used about 5-6 but it honestly just depends on what ties into your investigation :smile:

Quick Reply