The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Likelihood of getting into law at Glasgow with B in maths

Hi, I am in S5 and recently sat my highers and I think I likely achieved AAAAB (in English, history, modern studies, RMPS, and mathematics respectively). I’m planning on applying to law at the University of Glasgow in 2025 and am a bit worried that although this is technically within their entry requirements for S5, the B in maths may put me at a significant disadvantage for applying to such a competitive course.

Essentially my question is if getting in is realistic. If it helps in S6 I am intending on doing advanced highers in history, maths, and English, as well as a higher in politics.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am in S5 and recently sat my highers and I think I likely achieved AAAAB (in English, history, modern studies, RMPS, and mathematics respectively). I’m planning on applying to law at the University of Glasgow in 2025 and am a bit worried that although this is technically within their entry requirements for S5, the B in maths may put me at a significant disadvantage for applying to such a competitive course.
Essentially my question is if getting in is realistic. If it helps in S6 I am intending on doing advanced highers in history, maths, and English, as well as a higher in politics.

Hi there,

So your AAAAB would meet the minimum S5 entry requirements for our undergraduate law courses. Typical entry is AAAAAA by the end of S6, which would mean you'd have to achieve at least two Bs in your advanced highers (a B at advanced higher is equivalent to an A at higher).

I think as long as you do well in your sixth year the one B in maths wouldn't be a significant disadvantage, but as you said Law is an extremely competitive course, so I would look into other things which could strengthen your application, such as relevant work experience.

I would recommend looking at the chat to our students tab on our website, where you can chat to current Law students and ask them about their applications and get their advice on strengthening your application.

You can also submit an enquiry to our admissions enquiry team who might be able to give you some advice about specific grades/ entry requirements.

Overall my advice would be don't stress about what you now can't control, wait for results day, see what happens, speak to teachers, advisors etc and figure out a strategy plan. Where there is a will there is a way!

Best of luck!
Elise, 1st Year
BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Quick Reply