The Student Room Group

biology a level

hey guys i really need help studying bio, i try but it’s just not working can someone pls give some effective tips for studying (pls don’t say past questions and blurting, i’ve tried that) thanks!!!!
Original post by student2006k
hey guys i really need help studying bio, i try but it’s just not working can someone pls give some effective tips for studying (pls don’t say past questions and blurting, i’ve tried that) thanks!!!!

Let’s start with figuring out exactly where your struggling, understanding content, remembering content, or applying it to exam questions?
Reply 2
Original post by student2006k

Print spec off find out everything you need to know and be able to tick off.

At the end of the spec there is a formula sheet. Learn the ones you are not given in the exam & how to do use the formulas for STAT test.

Print off required practicals list too.

MME has an amazing set of maths skills questions for biology. Do a few learn how to answer these questions.

I'm a procrastinator & what works for me is biorach youtube vids to visually explain things/complex processes. Clarebiology is so good (tackles spec point by spec point and includes mark scheme answers). From time to time i'll do past papers to see where i'm at and what i am aiming for. When marking look for patterns, things you keep getting wrong. Is it a knowledge gap or struggling to explain things in a way the mark scheme asks you for.

Revisely is rlly good for questions by topic.

Make sure to also practice a ton of MCQs & hope this helps!!!!!!

Oh and flashcards religiously to get everything memorised
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 3
sorry my answer will involve practice questions because it's truly the best way to get good at a subject.

From someone who's had A*s in every test this year -

Do a practice paper. Make flashcards out of any questions you got wrong. See if there's a particular topic where you've completely forgotten everything or truly don't understand. Then use save my exams/YouTube/pmt/whatever other resources you can to review and revise the content. I like to make VERY concise notes (don't just copy everything down) then I make questions from what I've learnt and turn those into flashcards too. Make all kinds of questions - definitions and longer applications. E.g what is cystic fibrosis? How does it affect the reproductive system? What treatments are there?If it's an entire topic then I like to make a concise mindmap and make questions based off of that. Once you've reviewed this topic find questions specific to it and do them, and keep making flashcards from your mistakes. Then you've just got to learn the flashcards. I keep repeating this until I get to my tests.

Good luck :smile:
split it into topics, if you segment biology into smaller parts it is easier, make a checklist of concepts and topics that you don’t understand. then use a textbook or internet resource like save my exams to make good, concise notes.

that’s just one method.
Original post by Hahahaha5
Let’s start with figuring out exactly where your struggling, understanding content, remembering content, or applying it to exam questions?

hey i struggling with understanding context and applying it
Original post by rizzy0la

Print spec off find out everything you need to know and be able to tick off.

At the end of the spec there is a formula sheet. Learn the ones you are not given in the exam & how to do use the formulas for STAT test.

Print off required practicals list too.

MME has an amazing set of maths skills questions for biology. Do a few learn how to answer these questions.

I'm a procrastinator & what works for me is biorach youtube vids to visually explain things/complex processes. Clarebiology is so good (tackles spec point by spec point and includes mark scheme answers). From time to time i'll do past papers to see where i'm at and what i am aiming for. When marking look for patterns, things you keep getting wrong. Is it a knowledge gap or struggling to explain things in a way the mark scheme asks you for.

Revisely is rlly good for questions by topic.

Make sure to also practice a ton of MCQs & hope this helps!!!!!!

Oh and flashcards religiously to get everything memorised

thank you SO much for this🙏
Original post by Ajhdhd
sorry my answer will involve practice questions because it's truly the best way to get good at a subject.
From someone who's had A*s in every test this year -
Do a practice paper. Make flashcards out of any questions you got wrong. See if there's a particular topic where you've completely forgotten everything or truly don't understand. Then use save my exams/YouTube/pmt/whatever other resources you can to review and revise the content. I like to make VERY concise notes (don't just copy everything down) then I make questions from what I've learnt and turn those into flashcards too. Make all kinds of questions - definitions and longer applications. E.g what is cystic fibrosis? How does it affect the reproductive system? What treatments are there?If it's an entire topic then I like to make a concise mindmap and make questions based off of that. Once you've reviewed this topic find questions specific to it and do them, and keep making flashcards from your mistakes. Then you've just got to learn the flashcards. I keep repeating this until I get to my tests.
Good luck :smile:

i will be trying! thank you so much and good luck!
Original post by spanishjoe
split it into topics, if you segment biology into smaller parts it is easier, make a checklist of concepts and topics that you don’t understand. then use a textbook or internet resource like save my exams to make good, concise notes.
that’s just one method.

okay thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending