The Student Room Group

Low dissertation grade

Hi everyone, just recently got my dissertation results back, which I found very disappointing, given the amount of time and effort I spent on it. I am planning to have a talk with my supervisor, but is it possible to convince them to can change my grade, or is that normally a hard no?
Reply 1
To the best of my knowledge it's nye on impossible to get them to change the grade for a dissertation. It's really gutting when we don't get the grades we expect or think we deserve, but dissertations are typically marked by two examiners not just one, so if you want to appeal simply because you don't like the grade you were given, I don't think you would be successful.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
I agree with @Tinders . It's is extremely unlikely that your grade will change just because you go back and query it. Assuming, of course, that marking procedures have been followed through, in whch case you could challenge and/or appeal.
Dissertations are not always double marked but the module will at the very least have been "calibrated" to make sure all markers are marking to the same standard, then a sample will be both internally and externally moderated on top of that.
By all means go and speak to your supervisor but drop the expectation for the mark to be changed.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies @Tinders @cheadle
It's mainly because my introduction and results (which my supervisor has checked multiple times, and said they were fine) were criticised so much. There are improvements needed for other sections, but still I don't think it's fair on my side to get such low grade despite following all the instructions...
Reply 4
Are you prepared to say what grade you got? Or at least banding.
You say your S said those sections were "fine" (did they actually use that word?) and, if they did, what did you take it they meant by that ?
Reply 5
Original post by cheadle
Are you prepared to say what grade you got? Or at least banding.
You say your S said those sections were "fine" (did they actually use that word?) and, if they did, what did you take it they meant by that ?

I got a 2:2, my supervisor and I normally have meetings so I can't proof that he said they were fine. But I am fairly certain he was fine/ said it looks alright with my intro when I showed him last time, as I have made lots of changes according to his advice. I am just so unhapppy about the comments they made was 'the intro is very poorly', and the rest of the comment is opposite of the things he said before :frown:((
Original post by asa_1224
Thank you for your replies @Tinders @cheadle
It's mainly because my introduction and results (which my supervisor has checked multiple times, and said they were fine) were criticised so much. There are improvements needed for other sections, but still I don't think it's fair on my side to get such low grade despite following all the instructions...

Normally you can't appeal a result on the basis of academic judgment i.e. that they decided it was only worth X result when you thought it was worth Y.

You can usually only appeal things at university level on procedural bases, e.g. if you were supposed to be offered 4 tutorials with your supervisor for your dissertation but only were offered 1 (not the same as "were offered 4 but only attended 1", I would note), or if in the case of an exam you were told you would have 3 hours to complete it but made to hand in the exam paper after only 2 hours (again not the same as "had 3 hours but gave in exam paper and left after 2 hours").

Procedural irregularities in that vein are usually the only way you can appeal results at degree level because if they permitted academic judgement to be appealed then basically every student would continually appeal every result they didn't like and the entire university would grind to a halt.
Reply 7
I hear your frustration. I'm not entirely clear about what happened here but I am not convinced that you could put a case together for having been inadequately supervised. I would recommend that you go back to your S and say to them what you have said to us.

Quick Reply