The Student Room Group

Can they change my university offer even after the May 16th deadline?

I applied for Pharmacy at the University of Manchester where I was given an interview and on the 21st of march got a conditional offer with grades A in Chemistry and Grade B in physics. They Now just three days ago changed my offer where i was updated through UCAS to A in chemistry and A in physics, My question is, Are they allowed to do this or was it most likely a mistake?? In any case is it likely i can get my Offer changed back to the original one or not?
Original post by kasraroshani
I applied for Pharmacy at the University of Manchester where I was given an interview and on the 21st of march got a conditional offer with grades A in Chemistry and Grade B in physics. They Now just three days ago changed my offer where i was updated through UCAS to A in chemistry and A in physics, My question is, Are they allowed to do this or was it most likely a mistake?? In any case is it likely i can get my Offer changed back to the original one or not?

They are allowed to do this, yes.

As you can see in the UCAS Admissions Guide (this is the latest version I can find available publicly), "This type of change should rarely need to be made" and the university "should always explain the necessity for the change to the applicant." Have they?

With regards to the deadline, that's allowed too, although the university "should aim to make the changes before the relevant RBD or DBD date if the applicant has no outstanding decisions."

You ask, "was it most likely a mistake?" Are you referring to the original offer being a mistake (too low) or the change being a mistake?

Have you asked the university to justify the change?

Hi there what a levels did you do and do u knkw what Manchester mean by rigorous third subject academic like with chem and bio like is business one ik psych is and maths
They are not allowed to do this without your consent - even if this is a genuine mistake on their part.
They made you an offer and that is binding.

Contact Manchester on Tuesday - phone them - and if you dont get a sensible explanation and your original offer terms re-instated, then call UCAS. Get you school involved in this if you need to. You are entitled to retain the original offer.
Original post by Brianstudy01
Hi there what a levels did you do and do u knkw what Manchester mean by rigorous third subject academic like with chem and bio like is business one ik psych is and maths

I did maths last year and recieved B and im doing physics and chem this year. I applied for Pharmacy.
Original post by DataVenia
They are allowed to do this, yes.
As you can see in the UCAS Admissions Guide (this is the latest version I can find available publicly), "This type of change should rarely need to be made" and the university "should always explain the necessity for the change to the applicant." Have they?
With regards to the deadline, that's allowed too, although the university "should aim to make the changes before the relevant RBD or DBD date if the applicant has no outstanding decisions."
You ask, "was it most likely a mistake?" Are you referring to the original offer being a mistake (too low) or the change being a mistake?
Have you asked the university to justify the change?

Im asking which one is the mistake i guess because im assuming one or the other had to be a mistake so i was wondering whether its more likely the original offer was a mistake or if the change was a mistake.

In regards to have they explained, As far as im aware, No they havent, I was updated about the change through ucas and not from the university themself,

I have not contacted the university yet, I plan on calling on tuesday,
Original post by McGinger
They are not allowed to do this without your consent - even if this is a genuine mistake on their part.
They made you an offer and that is binding.
Contact Manchester on Tuesday - phone them - and if you dont get a sensible explanation and your original offer terms re-instated, then call UCAS. Get you school involved in this if you need to. You are entitled to retain the original offer.

How sure are you of this as I have recieved a couple answers arguing both sides, I fully intend on contacting them tuesday but im a little unsure of how to go about it, What do i actually say to them and how do i defend my position?? I really appreciate the advice!
How sure are you of this as I have recieved a couple answers arguing both sides, I fully intend on contacting them tuesday but im a little unsure of how to go about it, What do i actually say to them and how do i defend my position?? I really appreciate the advice!

Note that although I quoted from the UCAS Admissions Guide, (a) it was the 2016 version, and (b) I just skim-read it to allow me to answer your question.

@McGinger, on the other hand does this for a living and is far more knowledge as to how things work in the real world than I am. If it doubt, always follow their advice over my own. :smile:
I did maths last year and recieved B and im doing physics and chem this year. I applied for Pharmacy.
Could I do chem bio and business
Original post by Brianstudy01
Could I do chem bio and business

I believe so but im not entirely sure!

Quick Reply