The Student Room Group

Insecurities

Does anyone else feel like the ugly one in your friendship group? When I look at pictures, everyone else looks so perfect but my face is never good enough. My parents never talk about wearing makeup or anything like that and I don’t think they want me to. Im just so sick of feeling so depressed every time I compare myself to others. I see myself so differently in the mirror to in photos.
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone else feel like the ugly one in your friendship group? When I look at pictures, everyone else looks so perfect but my face is never good enough. My parents never talk about wearing makeup or anything like that and I don’t think they want me to. Im just so sick of feeling so depressed every time I compare myself to others. I see myself so differently in the mirror to in photos.

Sometimes yes because some of my friends are super skinny, and ive got more curves (genetics lol). But with curves comes a stomach and chubby cheeks etc. I'm not overweight, but not having a flat stomach makes you feel fat.

Also being a brown girl has had it's times where it makes you feel undesirable because for some reason all the brown guys in my school NEVER want the brown girls.

I've literally had a guy say he wants someone who 'takes care of themselves' which implies if you're not a size 6 then you don't take care of yourself???

Ultimately self love is a fluctuating journey and I have good days and bad days. One thing that's really helped is just the realisation that you're never going to be them. You can't change your build or race or facial features etc. So stop trying to be them.

Confidence is the thing I get the most compliments on and the most ironic part is it's just been a fake it till you make it kind of journey. Confidence shows, and it's attractive.

You've got the body you've got, and the features you've got. So you can either spend your life wishing they were different or just embrace them. You'll be a lot happier with the latter :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

your face is good enough. the way you look right now you ARE someone’s ideal type, don’t let the presence of other ppls beauty make you feel like you aren’t also beautiful, if you want to feel better, become confident- the truth is ppl treat you how you treat yourself, so carry yourself with confidence even if it’s fake and it’ll slowly become real. hope you have a good day⭐️

Quick Reply