The Student Room Group

BPS Acredition for Masters in Clinical Psychology

Hello,

I am an Indian student and I have obtained my Bachelors in Arts in Psychology from a renowned institution. I plan on pursuing postgraduate studies in Clinical Psychology from UK and want to work in the same domain once the masters is done.

I have been admitted to Msc in Clinical Psychology at Swansea University however the course is not BPS acredited. In terms of job prospects, it was mentioned on the website that once you have completed this course you are eligible for applying to work as an NHS Trainee Clinical Psychologist, however I found out that for that one must complete a BPS acredited degree.

I wanted some clarity on all this.
1. If I take admission in this course, what are my career prospects as an international student in UK?
2. I do have a bachelors degree in psychology but from India. Will I get a GBC based on that? Even if I do my masters is still not acredited, what reppurcusions will that have?

I do not plan on pursuing a doctorate or a PhD in Psychology straight after my postgraduate is done, I want to gain some years of work experience before that. (I am not sure about the NHS trainee Clinical Psychologist role, what are the exact requirements, is it a job that I have to do with doctorate or can it be done after masters as well). I just want some idea on what all career prospects I have if I do my postgraduate in clinical psychology in UK considering that my bachelor is not acredited and neither is my postgraduate and also what would be your recommendations in this case.

If anyone can please help me get some clarity on this, it would be great.

Thanks!!
Original post by chinmaymalik25
1. If I take admission in this course, what are my career prospects as an international student in UK?

They will be the same as they were before you took the course. If you want to work in the UK in the field of Psychology then having a BPS-accredited undergraduate degree, a BPS-accredited Master's degree (i.e. a conversion course), or gaining GBC status by having the BPS accept your non-UK degree is essential.

2. I do have a bachelors degree in psychology but from India. Will I get a GBC based on that?

Potentially. GBC is short for graduate basis for chartered membership (of the BPS). It means that you have the right to join the BPS as a Psychology graduate, because your course meets all their criteria in terms of content and quality. As an international student you can apply to join the BPS using your non-UK degree. If the BPS are happy that your undergraduate degree meets their standards, then you will become a member. By definition this means you must have had the right to join as a graduate (i.e. GBC). See their BPS International Membership page for further details of this approach.

Even if I do my masters is still not acredited, what reppurcusions will that have?

The only repercussions will be having wasted your time and money.
Original post by DataVenia
They will be the same as they were before you took the course. If you want to work in the UK in the field of Psychology then having a BPS-accredited undergraduate degree, a BPS-accredited Master's degree (i.e. a conversion course), or gaining GBC status by having the BPS accept your non-UK degree is essential.
Potentially. GBC is short for graduate basis for chartered membership (of the BPS). It means that you have the right to join the BPS as a Psychology graduate, because your course meets all their criteria in terms of content and quality. As an international student you can apply to join the BPS using your non-UK degree. If the BPS are happy that your undergraduate degree meets their standards, then you will become a member. By definition this means you must have had the right to join as a graduate (i.e. GBC). See their BPS International Membership page for further details of this approach.
The only repercussions will be having wasted your time and money.

Thanks a lot for your reply. So say BPS accepts my undergraduate degree and gives me a GBC status and I continue with my masters which is still not BPS accredited, I will still have the prospect of pursuing a creer in UK right since they accepted my bachelors, right?
Thanks a lot for your reply. So say BPS accepts my undergraduate degree and gives me a GBC status and I continue with my masters which is still not BPS accredited, I will still have the prospect of pursuing a creer in UK right since they accepted my bachelors, right?

Correct. You will not be able to be a practising psychologist in the UK with those qualifications, but you will be able to gain some experience - perhaps as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner, an Assistant Psychologist, or similar.

To practice as a psychologist in the UK (e.g. to hold the job title "Clinical Psychologist", "Educational Psychologist", etc.) you will require - by law - to register with the Heath and Care Professions Council (HCPC), which will require that you have taken an HCPC-approved postgraduate qualification. The level of that qualification will vary depending upon the type of psychologist you want to be. For Clinical Psychology is must be a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, and most of these are run in conjunction with the NHS. I mention this as a lot of international students heading down this route are unaware that because you are technically an employee on the NHS during this training programme, you must have an unfettered right to work on the UK. A student visa confers no such right. See the residence requirements for these courses here. For details of self-funded places on these courses (which I accept are a few years away for you), see this page.
Original post by DataVenia
Correct. You will not be able to be a practising psychologist in the UK with those qualifications, but you will be able to gain some experience - perhaps as a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner, an Assistant Psychologist, or similar.
To practice as a psychologist in the UK (e.g. to hold the job title "Clinical Psychologist", "Educational Psychologist", etc.) you will require - by law - to register with the Heath and Care Professions Council (HCPC), which will require that you have taken an HCPC-approved postgraduate qualification. The level of that qualification will vary depending upon the type of psychologist you want to be. For Clinical Psychology is must be a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, and most of these are run in conjunction with the NHS. I mention this as a lot of international students heading down this route are unaware that because you are technically an employee on the NHS during this training programme, you must have an unfettered right to work on the UK. A student visa confers no such right. See the residence requirements for these courses here. For details of self-funded places on these courses (which I accept are a few years away for you), see this page.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Thanks a lot for your help.

You're welcome.

Quick Reply