The Student Room Group

Resitting exams as someone with a back injury

i was wondering how unis felt about resits? i did a couple of quick searches but i also wanted some personal advice. i had a serious back injury last summer that caused me to miss a couple of month’s worth of school but i decided to sit my exams this year anyway since i had 3 A*s predicted and i could probably catch up. i regret that decision now. my back can’t stand the stress of exams and i’ve had to take my movement break 8 times in each of my exams. i completely flopped my first further maths paper because my mind and hands just froze from the back pain and i haven’t even felt like this during mocks. i’m not sure who to talk to about this and i seriously think i’ll be needing to resit. should i email my firm (UCL) about this or? i guess i need to wait until results day but i’d like to have an idea.

do universities not like resits? and how do they work in the terms that will the university be told a predicted grade for the exam i am resitting? and could i apply to other universities again as well? such as oxford since i didn’t do well due to lack of prep due to my back injury and being subjected to months of bed rest right up until mid october with a back brace and not being able to sit in class.

to be honest, i feel ashamed and like i’m making excuses that i wasn’t able able to make a better situation out of my back if that makes sense.

should i contact the exam board about the back pain or does it even count as extenuating circumstances? i feel like my school doesn’t really care so i’ve come on here for some advice.

and anyone who is resitting, could i get some general advice on it?

for some general information. i was already considering doing a gap year and reapplying to oxford as i wasn’t able to sit the PAT to the best of my ability due to my back injury. i know they only accept resits for extenuating circumstances that were unavoidable but i’m not sure i’d count. and my alevels are further maths, maths and physics + epq.

i should probably add that the back injury in question is me falling 6 metres onto my back in july which i then had to be hospitalised for without being allowed to move for the whole week and a half i was there. i was supposed to stay longer as they needed time to assess whether i’d need surgery but i wasn’t from that city (london) so i was transported back. i was then on bed rest and if i needed to move i needed a back brace. i had to get a new mattress, needed help with doing daily tasks such as showering and could definitely not study until at least october properly as i could not even sit down. i’m doing much better now nearly a year later but it affected me mentally and physically as i have perpetual pain now and i have physiotherapy.

any advice would be gladly appreciated!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by easten
i was wondering how unis felt about resits? i did a couple of quick searches but i also wanted some personal advice. i had a serious back injury last summer that caused me to miss a couple of month’s worth of school but i decided to sit my exams this year anyway since i had 3 A*s predicted and i could probably catch up. i regret that decision now. my back can’t stand the stress of exams and i’ve had to take my movement break 8 times in each of my exams. i completely flopped my first further maths paper because my mind and hands just froze from the back pain and i haven’t even felt like this during mocks. i’m not sure who to talk to about this and i seriously think i’ll be needing to resit. should i email my firm (UCL) about this or? i guess i need to wait until results day but i’d like to have an idea.
do universities not like resits? and how do they work in the terms that will the university be told a predicted grade for the exam i am resitting? and could i apply to other universities again as well? such as oxford since i didn’t do well due to lack of prep due to my back injury and being subjected to months of bed rest right up until mid october with a back brace and not being able to sit in class.
to be honest, i feel ashamed and like i’m making excuses that i wasn’t able able to make a better situation out of my back if that makes sense.
should i contact the exam board about the back pain or does it even count as extenuating circumstances? i feel like my school doesn’t really care so i’ve come on here for some advice.
and anyone who is resitting, could i get some general advice on it?
for some general information. i was already considering doing a gap year and reapplying to oxford as i wasn’t able to sit the PAT to the best of my ability due to my back injury. i know they only accept resits for extenuating circumstances that were unavoidable but i’m not sure i’d count. and my alevels are further maths, maths and physics + epq.
i should probably add that the back injury in question is me falling 6 metres onto my back in july which i then had to be hospitalised for without being allowed to move for the whole week and a half i was there. i was supposed to stay longer as they needed time to assess whether i’d need surgery but i wasn’t from that city (london) so i was transported back. i was then on bed rest and if i needed to move i needed a back brace. i had to get a new mattress, needed help with doing daily tasks such as showering and could definitely not study until at least october properly as i could not even sit down. i’m doing much better now nearly a year later but it affected me mentally and physically as i have perpetual pain now and i have physiotherapy.
any advice would be gladly appreciated!

depending on the course you want to do some don't allow resits but you can check your uni website and it will tell you usually on the a level section. Not much point contacting your uni as offers really depend on how well everyone did, how full their courses are. Your school has to apply for special circumstances on your behalf so you'll need to get medical evidence to back this up and as I found out the hard way the deadline is one month after exams so best to get the ball rolling by emailing your exams department. You can ask for things to help you such as extra time or hot water bottle/different chair so long as you have medical grounds.
You can retake year 13 if you don't get the grades but thats another year. I would just try your best on the rest of the papers and see how you go, as truly none of us know how we've done til results day and the unis will let you know that morning at 8am (I think) if you have been accepted or rejected and might offer an alternative course.
If your referee explains your circumstances in the relevant section of the reference then it’s unlikely most unis would have an issue.

If you see any unis with strict policies on resits, it’s worth checking with them before applying. But wait until you know what you’re doing first.
Reply 3
if i were to check-in with them, would i be contacting them through the undergraduate applications email or?
General undergrad admissions contact points for questions about admissions policy.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
General undergrad admissions contact points for questions about admissions policy.

i see, thank you!

Quick Reply