The Student Room Group

Oxford Colleges

Which Oxford colleges do you think I would enjoy and meet like minded people at ( PPE, current y12)
Male
White
Straight
Big sports fan
Centrist, approve of both left/right politics to some extent
Sociable, like partying but obviously still a hard worker
State schooler, from the south coast ( Brighton )
Thanks, would be nice to hear any opinions from current/ former students
Asking this as I do not want to end up in a environment I don't like for 3 years.
Original post by ColtsZidane48
Which Oxford colleges do you think I would enjoy and meet like minded people at ( PPE, current y12)
Male
White
Straight
Big sports fan
Asking this as I do not want to end up in a environment I don't like for 3 years.

Colleges really don't work like that. If you imagine your Year 12 group, is it the same as the Year 13 Group or Year 11? Probably not, and if they came from all over the UK and all over the world and all joined in Year 11? That's what Colleges are like. Each year group is made up in its first year and lasts only 3 years. You are a key part of what that year group is like. Plus many people don't even bother with College, they associate more with Subject group or interest/sports group. Colleges don't have enduring characteristics, they are the temporary sum of the students in them at any moment in time.
Original post by threeportdrift
Colleges really don't work like that. If you imagine your Year 12 group, is it the same as the Year 13 Group or Year 11? Probably not, and if they came from all over the UK and all over the world and all joined in Year 11? That's what Colleges are like. Each year group is made up in its first year and lasts only 3 years. You are a key part of what that year group is like. Plus many people don't even bother with College, they associate more with Subject group or interest/sports group. Colleges don't have enduring characteristics, they are the temporary sum of the students in them at any moment in time.

I disagree. Colleges do have characteristics, although they also change over time. An important aspect of a collegiate university is that the college tends to be more of a centre for social life than the subject.

The OP would be fine at most colleges, but might find Wadham annoying (because it is, and I say that as a Wadhamite - my college is currently in the hands of crazy people who have abandoned the values of the Enlightenment), and might find Oriel a bit stuffy.

OP, most people end up thinking that their college is the best college, so don't worry too much. Bear in mind also that if you receive an offer there is a one in four chance that the offer will come from a college you did not apply to.

A light hearted approach to the question:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inYEXUjh2cY
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Male
White
Straight
Big sports fan

New College, where I am going this year, is known to be a sporty college as they have the most sports grounds/facilities I think.
you're sure to find enough white men in every college so that doesnt make any difference really.
honestly I think all the colleges are pretty similar, maybe think about the size - you're more likely to find like-minded people at a bigger one as there will be more variety
Male
White
Straight
Big sports fan

Do you have a problem with brown people. Or women. Or Northerners.
Has anyone explained to you that one of the purposes of Higher Education is to expand your horizons.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you have a problem with brown people. Or women. Or Northerners.
Has anyone explained to you that one of the purposes of Higher Education is to expand your horizons.

Clearly missed the message
I was mainly referring to interests and lifestyle as a pose to race

Then why mention it.

That should have read "as opposed to race", not "as a pose to race".

Good writing is valued at Oxford. Accuracy in grammar, spelling, and punctuation are important. Good style helps. The way to write well is to read well. As an aspirant student of PPE, look at the house style of The Economist, and the good writing of Keynes, Galbraith, and so on. Another way to improve your writing is to read lots of nineteenth and twentieth century novels, a thing worth doing in itself.

As for the message, I did not interpret your opening post as signalling an aversion to people of colour, but I can see how it might have been read that way. I understood your opening post to be describing who you are. I agree, however, that one of the best things about university is the opportunity to meet and befriend people who are unlike you.

I jokingly assure my daughter (who is shortly to start at Oxford from a private school) that only half of the State school kids carry knives (I was at a State school). To like effect, I could jokingly assure you that only half of the private school kids own Ferraris.*

I really would not worry too much about college choice. The colleges are not all clones of one another, they really do have characters, but the thing is to get into Oxford and not to fret too much about which college accepts you. People usually like their colleges. If you end up at a college you don't enjoy being a member of, you can find a social group at one or more other colleges.

*The other half prefer Maseratis, obviously.
Original post by Stiffy Byng
That should have read "as opposed to race", not "as a pose to race".
Good writing is valued at Oxford. Accuracy in grammar, spelling, and punctuation are important. Good style helps. The way to write well is to read well. As an aspirant student of PPE, look at the house style of The Economist, and the good writing of Keynes, Galbraith, and so on. Another way to improve your writing is to read lots of nineteenth and twentieth century novels, a thing worth doing in itself.
As for the message, I did not interpret your opening post as signalling an aversion to people of colour, but I can see how it might have been read that way. I understood your opening post to be describing who you are. I agree, however, that one of the best things about university is the opportunity to meet and befriend people who are unlike you.
I jokingly assure my daughter (who is shortly to start at Oxford from a private school) that only half of the State school kids carry knives (I was at a State school). To like effect, I could jokingly assure you that only half of the private school kids own Ferraris.*
I really would not worry too much about college choice. The colleges are not all clones of one another, they really do have characters, but the thing is to get into Oxford and not to fret too much about which college accepts you. People usually like their colleges. If you end up at a college you don't enjoy being a member of, you can find a social group at one or more other colleges.
*The other half prefer Maseratis, obviously.

Yes sorry for the sub-par grammar, I was typing in a rush on my mobile.
Thanks for the advice on books for PPE, I will be sure to check those books out. I didn't intend to offend anyone but I can understand in retrospect how the initial post may have sparked some controversy.
I have done some research and have come to the conclusions that the colleges I would like to apply to the most are:
Worcester
Balliol
New College
Keble
Does anyone have any knowledge or incite into these colleges?
Thanks
Each of those colleges is lovely. They all have good buildings and grounds, and all have plenty of buzz.

Worcester has a beautiful location and gardens. Its current reputation is of being left wing, but perhaps in a more rational way than trend-obsessed Wadham (I say this as an old lefty from Wadham).

Balliol: traditionally an intellectual powerhouse, but these days all colleges are that. Professor Jowett, the late C19 Master of Balliol, was instrumental in reviving Oxford as a place of serious learning after a period of moribundity. Famous for the midnight raiding snackfest in the JCR.

New College: very old, big, beautiful, one of the best choirs in Oxford - almost as many recordings as the choir of King's College, Cambridge.

Keble: fabulous High Victorian architecture, a product of the Oxford Movement, now said to be pretty chill, close to the University Parks if you are a cricketer.

Have a look at the Turl Street Colleges: Lincoln, Exeter, and Jesus. All compact, pretty, and central. Teddy Hall, another small, pretty and central college, used to be thought sporty. Oriel is sporty, but is thought fairly or unfairly to be Toriel.

But please remember that you can be happy and thrive at any college. And also at any number of good universities that aren't Oxford.

On your reading list, if you haven't tried Varoufakis, give him a go. I assume that you may already have read things such as In Defence of Politics by Bernard Crick, and some introductory works of philosophy.

PS: Sorry not sorry to bang on about written English. State school education back in the day made all of its pupils lifelong Grammar Nazis.

PPS: insight, not incite!
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply