is university of birmingham good. Watch

Sebastien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hi im applying to study economics at birmingham,manchester,ucl,bristo l,nottingham.

ive got offers for econ from birmingham and manchester and for accounts and finance from nottingham.

which is the better uni out of birminghama and manchester and are they like top unis not on the level of lse,warwick ucl but do these then come next
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Birmingham is a very good university, with a solid reputation. Although it's reputation isn't quite as strong as the likes of LSE, UCL and Warwick, it's still a very good university...
Sebastien
Rep:
?
is it better than manchester
HannahUVM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the times good university guide is out online and you can search by subject (not that it's the definitive answer but it's worth a look). http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sebastien)
I would say Manchester had a slightly stronger reputation (especially internationally) , but the difference is negligable. Also it's subjective. There are also other things to take into account other than just repututation.
ninety_nine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(My opinion) is you have Oxbridge then the likes of LSE, UCL, Kings, Bristol, Durham, Warwick etc. then the rest of the Russell Group with includes Manc and B'ham. This is of course general, and varies a lot by subject.

The University of Birmingham is a good university but I'd personally go for Manchester (probably out of personal choice). What makes me lean towards Manchester (should I get an offer) is the fact that by the time I'd graduate (2013) the university will be one of the top 25 research universities in the world, and its general rep will be siginifcantly better than it is now. It's never going to have an Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial prestige but I certainly see it being considered alongside the likes of Durham and Bristol (if it isn't already there now).

Of course, Birmingham is great uni too!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Impossible to answer. It's very subjective

Both are solid and prestigious redbricks, with the difference in quality between UCL, Durham, Warwick etc. and Birmingham and Manchester (who are probably the two leading redbricks) not particularly significant in my opinion.
Sebastien
Rep:
?
but i mean manchester for economics is ranked 3th wheeras bham is ranked 12th. so i dunno why people are saying manchester is better
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
but i mean manchester for economics is ranked 3th wheeras bham is ranked 12th. so i dunno why people are saying manchester is better
Not that league tables matter by 3rd is higher than 12th.

Unless you meant 13th?

Birmingham uni is nice, it's in a very leafy area of the city, however there's a school next to it and you get all the annoying kids from there walking through (my brother goes there, the school not the uni!) and I guess it depends on what you want out of uni. Social wise lots of clubs and cinemas and stuff relatively close to the uni.
I'm slightly biased against Birmingham but then I live here so I would be! I think the uni is meant to be good though
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lolz..so its better than ucl and warwick for econ now wow
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's more than just league table rankings. They are a set of statistucs, often using a . They aren't an accurate representation of higher education. They are also only fifteen years old, people managed without them long before then.

Although Manchester (the city and uni) does get a great deal of loving on this forum. As I said, both are exemplary redbricks and deserve a place alongside our leading universities.

(Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
lolz..so its better than ucl and warwick for econ now wow
Coventry and Bradford are better than Nottingham, apparently :rolleyes:
Decs.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Birmingham is over looked by Manchester and Leeds fan boys because they are the 'in' uni's of the past few years. If your a tables lover, Birmingham is consistently placed as one of, if not THE best of the bunch, Manchester 27th according to the times, shocking! It should be noted i don't believe in league table positions; 1st, 13th, 29th etc. I believe there are certainly divisions, the top 10, the solid top redbricks, the crap-uns, but the exact positions within these leagues change and very often so i don't go into that much detail. Birmingham has a really nice site, which gives you the benefits of a green campus and a busy city lifestyle bundled into one neat package. Off all the uni's of similar standing, Manc, Leeds, Newcastle etc it has stood out the most for me.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hi im applying to study economics at birmingham,manchester,ucl,bristo l,nottingham.

ive got offers for econ from birmingham and manchester and for accounts and finance from nottingham.

which is the better uni out of birminghama and manchester and are they like top unis not on the level of lse,warwick ucl but do these then come next
I would put neither Birmingham nor Manchester in the top 10 for econ.
e.g. TAELT has Manchester in 17th and Birminghma in 22nd positions.

But you should visit both places and make your own decision.
Corinnamason
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://thetab.com/uk/birmingham/2016...-best-uk-29829
taniasultana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Birmingham
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads