The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Maintenance grant ou: is it paid in lump sum or split?

Hi I’m starting open university and I’m eligible for maintenance grand/loan the course if from Oct 5 till June- how would the grant/ loan be paid- split over 8 months or at one lump sum?? Regards
(edited 1 month ago)
it's usually given in 3 installments - approximately September, January, april
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks so much regards
OU students don't get maintenance loan due to it being distance learning so the info another user has given above doesn't apply.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
OU students don't get maintenance loan due to it being distance learning so the info another user has given above doesn't apply.

If you have disability you can apply - apparently
Original post by Lostsoul13
If you have disability you can apply - apparently

Oh ok - thanks for the heads up
Reply 6
You have to prove you can't attend a brick university due to your disability, I think.
Original post by Lostsoul13
Hi I’m starting open university and I’m eligible for maintenance grand/loan the course if from Oct 5 till June- how would the grant/ loan be paid- split over 8 months or at one lump sum?? Regards

Hi! Typically your maintenance loan will get paid in three instalments split throughout the year, however, you can check exactly when yours will be paid if you log into your student finance account!

Hope this helps 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Reply 8
I get the maintenance loan element of SFE due to a disability and yes I had to send a GP letter to SFE to state my disability prevents me from attending a brick university.

As mentioned it’s in three instalments. Usually the first payment is late October as The OU have to confirm you are engaging in the course and they start to do this about 2 weeks after the course start date.

Quick Reply