The Student Room Group

Do I need to redo GCSEs to get into a top uni?

I got mediocre GCSE grades and only really properly engaged with my education when I went to sixth form and then university.

I'd like to return to university to study German. But I'd like to go to a top uni like Durham or UCL.
I know I need to do at least a couple of relevant A-levels since I previously did sciences and maths, but I'm wondering if I need to redo GCSEs to stand a chance of getting into a top university?
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by mathperson
Bump

No, just explain you didn't engage with education when you were 16. Job done. A bigger worry is how you are going to fund a second undergrad degree.
Original post by mathperson
I got mediocre GCSE grades and only really properly engaged with my education when I went to sixth form and then university.
I'd like to return to university to study German. But I'd like to go to a top uni like Durham or UCL.
I know I need to do at least a couple of relevant A-levels since I previously did sciences and maths, but I'm wondering if I need to redo GCSEs to stand a chance of getting into a top university?

It depends on how long ago they were. Given that it's a second undergraduate degree, I'm assuming fairly. Universities tend to care much more about recent qualifications. You may need to resit anything that is a minimum requirement, usually Maths and English, but feel free to ask your universities directly about this.

Also, it may be worth my pointing out that tuition fees may be different for those getting a second undergraduate degree. I can't find it generally, but at the moment for Cambridge the fee is £12,258 (plus college fees) for those getting a second undergraduate degree but this may rise. You may also not qualify for a tuition loan in the same way as for your first.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
No, just explain you didn't engage with education when you were 16. Job done. A bigger worry is how you are going to fund a second undergrad degree.

Would having not really engaged with education pre-16, and hence having average GCSE grades, be acceptable to a top uni like Durham or UCL?
Obviously I'd rather not have to go back and retake GCSEs having done a degree.

I'll finance the degree myself 🙂

Original post by melancollege
It depends on how long ago they were. Given that it's a second undergraduate degree, I'm assuming fairly. Universities tend to care much more about recent qualifications. You may need to resit anything that is a minimum requirement, usually Maths and English, but feel free to ask your universities directly about this.
Also, it may be worth my pointing out that tuition fees may be different for those getting a second undergraduate degree. I can't find it generally, but at the moment for Cambridge the fee is £12,258 (plus college fees) for those getting a second undergraduate degree but this may rise. You may also not qualify for a tuition loan in the same way as for your first.

Yeah it was over 15 years ago now that I did GCSEs at school.
I've messaged UCL to ask 🙂
It would be probably best to ask the university in question what their expectations are of your GCSEs. Sometimes they aren't a requirement and other times they are taken into consideration. Best of luck with your applications! 😀

Quick Reply