The Student Room Group

Resitting A Levels and Subject Choices for Top Unis

I am planning to resit my AS and A2 level exams to achieve A* grades, for top unis such as Imperial, UCL, Oxford, and Cambridge for a Computer Science major. In my first attempt, I scored As in Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. To improve my chances and align better with my intended major, I am considering the following plan:
Resit Maths and Physics to aim for A* grades.
Take Further Maths and Computer Science for the first time. I read in the unis' websites that they prefer students who have further maths.
Retain my A grade in Chemistry and use it as part of my application.
My concerns are:
Will resitting exams put me at a disadvantage for admission to these top universities?
Is it wise to drop Chemistry and add Further Maths and Computer Science, given that this aligns better with my intended major in Computer Science?
How do top universities view resits, and will my approach be seen positively or negatively?
Is this plan advisable, or am I making a significant mistake? If it is not wise, what would be the best course of action to strengthen my application for a Computer Science program at these universities?
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 1
if you are aiming for Oxbridge/Imperial CS, it is wise to resit your A-Levels, along with FM. 3 A's without FM makes it almost impossible to get into CS at Oxbridge/Imperial

universities do not really look down on resits, but you should add something on your teacher reference or personal statement to explain why you took resits
Original post by aranon
if you are aiming for Oxbridge/Imperial CS, it is wise to resit your A-Levels, along with FM. 3 A's without FM makes it almost impossible to get into CS at Oxbridge/Imperial
universities do not really look down on resits, but you should add something on your teacher reference or personal statement to explain why you took resits

and what about computer science? should i take computer science?
Reply 3
Original post by Giggle Tales
and what about computer science? should i take computer science?

i would recommend it but it is not that important. it's probably best to sit just one of computer science or physics, and for obvious reasons it would be better to do CS if you can

if you can take maths, FM, CS, and get 3 A*'s in these, along with your two A's in chem and physics, your application will be much stronger

if you want to resit physics as well, go for it, but do not worry that much about it
Reply 4
Original post by Giggle Tales
I am planning to resit my AS and A2 level exams to achieve A* grades, for top unis such as Imperial, UCL, Oxford, and Cambridge for a Computer Science major. In my first attempt, I scored As in Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. To improve my chances and align better with my intended major, I am considering the following plan:
Resit Maths and Physics to aim for A* grades.
Take Further Maths and Computer Science for the first time. I read in the unis' websites that they prefer students who have further maths.
Retain my A grade in Chemistry and use it as part of my application.
My concerns are:
Will resitting exams put me at a disadvantage for admission to these top universities?
Is it wise to drop Chemistry and add Further Maths and Computer Science, given that this aligns better with my intended major in Computer Science?
How do top universities view resits, and will my approach be seen positively or negatively?
Is this plan advisable, or am I making a significant mistake? If it is not wise, what would be the best course of action to strengthen my application for a Computer Science program at these universities?

What is your end goal. Bear in mind employers value work experience, knowledge and skills over academia. They also tend not to rate supposed prestige.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending