The Student Room Group

Economics vs Management?

My alevels are Maths, Economics and Physics with a FM as. I originally wanted to apply to all pure economic courses but realized that I am very uncompetitive for my dream university (LSE) in terms of the absence of a full further maths alevel... So then I have turned my attention to subjects such as economics and management, which I am keen to do but LSE doesn't offer the course so I am wondering whether I should apply to management at LSE, EM at two other unis and econ at my safe universities... At the same time, that would make my personal statement really difficult to write to target all three courses. If anyone can give me any ideas I would be extremely appreciated, thank you!! :smile:
Reply 1
Writing your PS for E &/or M shouldn't be difficult at all. Infact there is a lot of overlap in some modules and in its application, if anything it make your PS even more interesting to write . Economics can be applied to management decision making. Look at economic principles and how they apply in terms managing of resources in a business or workplace. Look at the modules for economics and then go to a good uni website e.g Bath and read what a 'Management' degree is about and look at its modules and start to see how they complement each other. If you are applying for just 'Economics' then just emphasise the quantitative aspects of the course against your skills/learning, if 'Management' then emphahsie the core modules within Management although I would also mentioned the quantitative side of management e/g 'Econometrics' or 'behavioral economics', which are all part of the BSc in Management.
Reply 2
Original post by Makro
Writing your PS for E &/or M shouldn't be difficult at all. Infact there is a lot of overlap in some modules and in its application, if anything it make your PS even more interesting to write . Economics can be applied to management decision making. Look at economic principles and how they apply in terms managing of resources in a business or workplace. Look at the modules for economics and then go to a good uni website e.g Bath and read what a 'Management' degree is about and look at its modules and start to see how they complement each other. If you are applying for just 'Economics' then just emphasise the quantitative aspects of the course against your skills/learning, if 'Management' then emphahsie the core modules within Management although I would also mentioned the quantitative side of management e/g 'Econometrics' or 'behavioral economics', which are all part of the BSc in Management.

Thank you so much!!! You are very helpful! 😀 I will definitely check that out! But would universities with a pure economic course see me as less interested as a result? Or would it not matter?
Original post by _.vae._
Thank you so much!!! You are very helpful! 😀 I will definitely check that out! But would universities with a pure economic course see me as less interested as a result? Or would it not matter?
I am not sure what other unis you are applying to however some unis may not mind too much what your ps says provided your grades exceed the entry requirements. As the previous reply said. Do try to overlap subjects (and perhaps where possible consider applying to E and M at other unis rather than straight econ if you are really worried).
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cantankerouswolf
I am not sure what other unis you are applying to however some unis may not mind too much what your ps says provided your grades exceed the entry requirements. As the previous reply said. Do try to overlap subjects (and perhaps where possible consider applying to E and M at other unis rather than straight econ if you are really worried).

thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply