The Student Room Group

Why core maths

Im currently finishing up my gcses and as of now am thinking about taking a levels in biology, chemistry and psychology however i am terrible at maths so dont think ill have the grade requirements in order to take a level maths (Nor do i think id even want to) and also need some form of maths in order to go along with a level chem and bio. my school offers core maths (AQA) and i was just wondering apart from needing it to take chem, bio is it at all useful for anything else or just kinda useless??
Reply 1
many unis will give an offer with one reduced grade if you get so and so grade in core maths e.g. ABB to BBB with a B in core maths.

i study biology and chem a levels (currently y13) and i can say there is a fair amount of maths involved. you will be taught the procedure on answering the types of calculations, but spending more time with maths in core maths will help you be more comfortable solving for unknowns and such.

good luck with the rest of your gcses! have you thought about what you would do after sixth form?
Reply 2
many unis will give an offer with one reduced grade if you get so and so grade in core maths e.g. ABB to BBB with a B in core maths.
i study biology and chem a levels (currently y13) and i can say there is a fair amount of maths involved. you will be taught the procedure on answering the types of calculations, but spending more time with maths in core maths will help you be more comfortable solving for unknowns and such.
good luck with the rest of your gcses! have you thought about what you would do after sixth form?

thank you so much. Yes! im put down to do biology, chemistry and psychology + core maths at the moment, what is the work load like for bio and chem?? because people have said they are really hard which low key scares me + i suck at maths and have heard chemistry involves a fair bit
Reply 3
i also do combined science as well so im scared ill be at a rly big disadvantage
Original post by phob17
i also do combined science as well so im scared ill be at a rly big disadvantage

What grade are you working at in Maths?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
What grade are you working at in Maths?

i honestly don't know icl its gone down each year but i would say grade 5 and i need a grade 6 in order to take the subject i want im hoping to at least pull a grade 5 and if it comes to it beg them to let me in lmaoo but i really want a grade 6
Original post by phob17
i honestly don't know icl its gone down each year but i would say grade 5 and i need a grade 6 in order to take the subject i want im hoping to at least pull a grade 5 and if it comes to it beg them to let me in lmaoo but i really want a grade 6

A grade 6 is a reasonable starying point for Core Maths. Work hard on your revision - many unis want grade 6s for STEM degrees.

There's a bit more about Core Math here: https://amsp.org.uk/additional-funding-available-for-core-maths/
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
A grade 6 is a reasonable starying point for Core Maths. Work hard on your revision - many unis want grade 6s for STEM degrees.
There's a bit more about Core Math here: https://amsp.org.uk/additional-funding-available-for-core-maths/

ty!
Reply 8
Original post by phob17
thank you so much. Yes! im put down to do biology, chemistry and psychology + core maths at the moment, what is the work load like for bio and chem?? because people have said they are really hard which low key scares me + i suck at maths and have heard chemistry involves a fair bit

what's the workload like?
i personally don't think the workload is too intense! chemistry, biology, and psychology have no coursework, other than the practical endorsement for bio and chem, which is just a step up of what you do at gcse and is 95% done in lessons.

how much maths is involved in chemistry?
i found this from aqa (maths will be virtually the same across exam boards) that details the maths needed. a lot of it is stuff you already know like finding gradients with tangents, plotting points, finding a mean. the new stuff you will be walked through, and you will always have a calculator with you to help! you should be confident in using standard form, rearranging simple equations to make something the subject, and rounding to a certain number of significant figures or decimal places. i get the impression that schools know a lot of students struggle with maths, since at the beginning of year 12 before our class began the a-level content, we spent some time gaining confidence with the basics!
Reply 9
what's the workload like?
i personally don't think the workload is too intense! chemistry, biology, and psychology have no coursework, other than the practical endorsement for bio and chem, which is just a step up of what you do at gcse and is 95% done in lessons.
how much maths is involved in chemistry?
i found this from aqa (maths will be virtually the same across exam boards) that details the maths needed. a lot of it is stuff you already know like finding gradients with tangents, plotting points, finding a mean. the new stuff you will be walked through, and you will always have a calculator with you to help! you should be confident in using standard form, rearranging simple equations to make something the subject, and rounding to a certain number of significant figures or decimal places. i get the impression that schools know a lot of students struggle with maths, since at the beginning of year 12 before our class began the a-level content, we spent some time gaining confidence with the basics!

ahh im really glad to hear this, i guess as well as they're all subjects i find interesting revising shouldn't be to much of a pain tysm
Original post by phob17
Im currently finishing up my gcses and as of now am thinking about taking a levels in biology, chemistry and psychology however i am terrible at maths so dont think ill have the grade requirements in order to take a level maths (Nor do i think id even want to) and also need some form of maths in order to go along with a level chem and bio. my school offers core maths (AQA) and i was just wondering apart from needing it to take chem, bio is it at all useful for anything else or just kinda useless??

Hey @phob17,

I took core maths during a-levels as I didn't have the maths grade to take computer science I was also recommended to take the course due to doing applied science and geography as my a-levels. As this would support me during the maths element of these courses. Due to taking core maths I had already learnt specific calculations which were used in applied science and geography so I understood them more than others.

This is also an extra qualification that can be added to your CV and also counts to your UCAS tariff points.

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Reply 11
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hey @phob17,
I took core maths during a-levels as I didn't have the maths grade to take computer science I was also recommended to take the course due to doing applied science and geography as my a-levels. As this would support me during the maths element of these courses. Due to taking core maths I had already learnt specific calculations which were used in applied science and geography so I understood them more than others.
This is also an extra qualification that can be added to your CV and also counts to your UCAS tariff points.
Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

thats great to know thanks so much i didnt realise it was worth any ucas points, i think i will defo being taking it now as people have said it helps a lot too! tysm!!!!

Quick Reply