The Student Room Group

Advanced Mathematics Support Programme - Problem Solving Matters Advice

Hello, I got accepted onto ASMP's Problem Solving Matters' programme and I was wondering if anyone had some tips or advice for the programme? I know that it's centred around admissions tests and problem solving but I was wondering whether they give any other advice as well.
Reply 1
Original post by iive
Hello, I got accepted onto ASMP's Problem Solving Matters' programme and I was wondering if anyone had some tips or advice for the programme? I know that it's centred around admissions tests and problem solving but I was wondering whether they give any other advice as well.

what sort of advice are you thinking about?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
what sort of advice are you thinking about?

How to make the most out of each session? What the programme is going to be like? Stuff like that
Reply 3
Original post by iive
How to make the most out of each session? What the programme is going to be like? Stuff like that

I thought you said something like "whether they give any other advice as well". Havent been on the program, but they cant assume too much prior knowledge (unless theyve asked for it), but doing some prereading/practice usually helps. One (or two) of the mat livestream is based on problem solving and some of the step foundation and there are quite a few books and the ukmt/nrich/... stuff is largely based on problem solving. So depending on your background and what you want to get out of the course (which exam - mat/tmua is probably more problem solving than step), it might be worth doing a bit of stuff beforehand - but not necesary
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
I thought you said something like "whether they give any other advice as well". Havent been on the program, but they cant assume too much prior knowledge (unless theyve asked for it), but doing some prereading/practice usually helps. One (or two) of the mat livestream is based on problem solving and some of the step foundation and there are quite a few books and the ukmt stuff is largely based on problem solving. So depending on your background and what you want to get out of the course (which exam - mat/tmua is probably more problem solving than step), it might be worth doing a bit of stuff beforehand - but not necesary

Ah yes sorry, I thought they might offer some advice surrounding personal statements and how to make your application as mathematically competitive as possible. Thank you for your help!
Reply 5
Original post by iive
Ah yes sorry, I thought they might offer some advice surrounding personal statements and how to make your application as mathematically competitive as possible. Thank you for your help!

Id guess if they covered it on the syllabus, theyd mention it, but cant be certain. However, if you have specific questions, why not ask them during a break? Or ask here?

Tbh for oxbridge, the interview and test(s) are the main thing they use to discriminate. So youe got to submit a personal statement about your supercurriulars/your interest/passion for maths, but it doesnt have to be super competitive. Thats what the tests/interview are about.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Id guess if they covered it on the syllabus, theyd mention it, but cant be certain. However, if you have specific questions, why not ask them during a break? Or ask here?
Tbh for oxbridge, the interview and test(s) are the main thing they use to discriminate. So youe got to submit a personal statement about your supercurriulars/your interest/passion for maths, but it doesnt have to be super competitive. Thats what the tests/interview are about.

ok thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest