The Student Room Group

Geography 20 Mark Q HELP!!!! AQA

hi friends, i was wondering if anyone had advice on the geog 20 mark questions? paper 2 is coming up and i am worried… my timing was off in paper 1 so i think i will need to do better in paper 2 to push up my grade😖

ive been doing practice essays for my teacher and ive been getting 16/17 recently and im struggling to understand what i need to do to get a higher mark? somehow the essays i think i do the worst on end up getting the highest mark so i am a little confused 🫤 ive looked at some of my friends work where they’ve gotten full marks and they’ve actually written way less than me aswell but somehow manage to hit all the AOs ??

if anyone is good with these please could you share your words of wisdom!! i would be so grateful ☺️ if you have a structure/key sentence starters/vocab/some sort of formula to it

i do changing places, global governance and population and environment
we haven’t actually had any exam practice really on the population side as it was our last topic so a bit uncertain about this topic too

thank you!!!!
Can defo relate to the confusion! I've been getting roughly the same mark but that should get you roughly around an A* so don't worry too much lol! Here's some tips I've picked up.

I try to include 5 key elements in my essays (copied from my notes):

Knowledge and understanding

e.g- Chances peak erupted in 1997

The Amazon covers 40% of South America

Concepts and processes

Incineration is the combustion of waste, emitting CO2

Eustatic sea level change is the raising of sea levels relative to land…

Temporal and spatial

Spatial- (regional example) The Amazon holds 20% Earth’s riverwater.

Temporal-40% of the Amazon could be deforested by 2050.

Assessment and analysis

Try mentally replacing ‘assess’ with ‘rank’

which drives the greenhouse effect and climate change, representing an environmental cost

…Potentially exacerbating flood risk to low lying areas

Evaluation

This was beneficial as the ‘Hoy No Circula’ scheme somewhat improved physical health by cutting emissions by vehicles

However, LICs may lack resources for architectural preparedness

The first 2 points there are 'AO1' and the last 2 are 'AO2'; temporal and spatial are kind of a mix.
In terms of strucutre I go for 4-6 points, but nothing more strict than that bc the questions are often very different to one another so one size doesn't fit all. Also make sure you have noticed all the elements of the quesiton- e.g if it wants you to refer to social impacts rather than just any impact.

If you have any tips in return I'd be interested to hear them cuz I struggle with these too sometimes :c
Reply 2
Original post by Studying Pigeon
Can defo relate to the confusion! I've been getting roughly the same mark but that should get you roughly around an A* so don't worry too much lol! Here's some tips I've picked up.
I try to include 5 key elements in my essays (copied from my notes):

Knowledge and understanding

e.g- Chances peak erupted in 1997

The Amazon covers 40% of South America

Concepts and processes

Incineration is the combustion of waste, emitting CO2

Eustatic sea level change is the raising of sea levels relative to land…

Temporal and spatial

Spatial- (regional example) The Amazon holds 20% Earth’s riverwater.

Temporal-40% of the Amazon could be deforested by 2050.

Assessment and analysis

Try mentally replacing ‘assess’ with ‘rank’

which drives the greenhouse effect and climate change, representing an environmental cost

…Potentially exacerbating flood risk to low lying areas

Evaluation

This was beneficial as the ‘Hoy No Circula’ scheme somewhat improved physical health by cutting emissions by vehicles

However, LICs may lack resources for architectural preparedness

The first 2 points there are 'AO1' and the last 2 are 'AO2'; temporal and spatial are kind of a mix.
In terms of strucutre I go for 4-6 points, but nothing more strict than that bc the questions are often very different to one another so one size doesn't fit all. Also make sure you have noticed all the elements of the quesiton- e.g if it wants you to refer to social impacts rather than just any impact.
If you have any tips in return I'd be interested to hear them cuz I struggle with these too sometimes :c

hey! id written a response to this but for some reason it hasnt gone through?
although 16/17 is good i havent gotten that in an exam yet so idk!! i have got 15 on some in exams which is okay but im worried about just completely messing up the 6 + 9 mark qs so i will need to get as much as possible on the 20s if that makes sense? the timing also is something that i struggle with so
for some reason the essays i think i do the worst on end up getting the best marks 😅 im going to have a look at the ones my teachers liked to see if theres anything from that i can suggest to you
👍️ Yes time is super difficult in geog papers. I find the best way to get it all done is a short and effective plan, then write as fast as humanly possible lol. Bit scared for next Monday bc I have another exam in the afternoon 😬

Anyways I'd also recommend checking out the 20 markers right at the start of the exam, I feel like that always gives me a bit of extra time to cook on it. Other than that just practice as many as possible before the exam (without burning out your hand tho!)

Quick Reply