The Student Room Group

Deciding between Notts and UCL

I want to do biology but with UCL I didn’t meet the grades so had to settle for human sciences which involves anthropology and wide choice of modules of bioscience’s neuroscience and psychology whilst Nottingham is pure biology.

In terms of social life I’m thinking that Nottingham is the better option as having lived in London I experienced the lack of social life and community which is off putting.

Do you think I will be a fool for turning down UCL due to the social life as it’s obviously better than Notts.
Original post by Zyan265
I want to do biology but with UCL I didn’t meet the grades so had to settle for human sciences which involves anthropology and wide choice of modules of bioscience’s neuroscience and psychology whilst Nottingham is pure biology.
In terms of social life I’m thinking that Nottingham is the better option as having lived in London I experienced the lack of social life and community which is off putting.
Do you think I will be a fool for turning down UCL due to the social life as it’s obviously better than Notts.

If you plan on living in London, I would chose UCL. But if you don’t, I think it defeats a lot of the purpose of going to UCL because Nottingham is still a good uni.
Simple, go to the institution that provides the course you want to do. UCL will not give you any better job prospects out of those subjects.
Hi! I have just finished my first year at UCL doing Psych and it has been a great year although intense. UCL/London has been great. You will have to take the initiative with regard to social life and and fostering a nice community for yourself. Don't be shy, initiate new connections and you will be fine.

Re the course ... I would strongly suggest that you relook at the course modules etc and honestly ask yourself if you would be happy doing the course. It's the only way to remain motivated and emerge successful. I am very happy only because I am doing exactly what I love.

Quick Reply