The Student Room Group

Vet Med - Still an option?

Hi!

Since I was a kid, my heart has always been set on studying Vet Med, but for reasons I'll go on to explain I ended up hopping between different degrees. I currently study Psych, and although its interesting my passion remains in animal care and biological sciences.

My grades upon leaving school were:

Advanced Higher English - A
Higher Human Bio, English, and History - A
Higher Maths - B
Higher Chem - C

The main issue was that big fat C in Chemistry; given these grades, is there any route into Vet Med for me now? I should note that I attended a school in a pretty deprived area, so I contend for the Widening Access schemes some unis have.

I've seen that some unis offer gateway/foundation courses; given I had suitable work experience, would these grades be enough to get me in?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by ShaunMck22
Hi!
Since I was a kid, my heart has always been set on studying Vet Med, but for reasons I'll go on to explain I ended up hopping between different degrees. I currently study Psych, and although its interesting my passion remains in animal care and biological sciences.
My grades upon leaving school were:
Advanced Higher English - A
Higher Human Bio, English, and History - A
Higher Maths - B
Higher Chem - C
The main issue was that big fat C in Chemistry; given these grades, is there any route into Vet Med for me now? I should note that I attended a school in a pretty deprived area, so I contend for the Widening Access schemes some unis have.
I've seen that some unis offer gateway/foundation courses; given I had suitable work experience, would these grades be enough to get me in?
Thanks!

The best thing to do is call a few university admissions departments and ask them. Then you will have a definitive answer. There are fewer veterinary medicine places than medicine, which makes it more competitive.

Quick Reply