The Student Room Group

english language paper 1

what happens if you choose to write a story but it doesnt have anything to do with what they asked you to so for example. what if it says "write a story about a disagreement" but your story does not relate to a disagreement. Do we still get marks?
Reply 1
Original post by siver
what happens if you choose to write a story but it doesnt have anything to do with what they asked you to so for example. what if it says "write a story about a disagreement" but your story does not relate to a disagreement. Do we still get marks?

what did you write about? if it had some, even small element of disagreement, I'm sure they'll allow it. If it had nothing at all to do with a disagreement then I'm guessing if you wrote something really good you'll still get marks, but maybe they might mark you down for not writing about the right stuff
Reply 2
Original post by Liqht
what did you write about? if it had some, even small element of disagreement, I'm sure they'll allow it. If it had nothing at all to do with a disagreement then I'm guessing if you wrote something really good you'll still get marks, but maybe they might mark you down for not writing about the right stuff

i memorised a story bout a life saving rescue and used that. i dont know if this relates to a disagreement but i added on that the girls family didnt believe she could save someones life but she proved them wrong. so basically they didnt agree that she could save someones life. not sure if that relates to a disagreement tho.
Original post by siver
i memorised a story bout a life saving rescue and used that. i dont know if this relates to a disagreement but i added on that the girls family didnt believe she could save someones life but she proved them wrong. so basically they didnt agree that she could save someones life. not sure if that relates to a disagreement tho.

plot is not as important as detail so it has an element of disagreement which is all that is required
Reply 4
Original post by niqabiforever21
plot is not as important as detail so it has an element of disagreement which is all that is required

so do i not lose marks? because im not sure exactly what is meant by 'disagreement'
Reply 5
Original post by siver
so do i not lose marks? because im not sure exactly what is meant by 'disagreement'

i think that's what's so good about question 5, people interpret it in different ways, it's unlikely that you'll lose a lot of marks for it as the examiner will have their own idea for what "disagreement" occurred, i wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Liqht
i think that's what's so good about question 5, people interpret it in different ways, it's unlikely that you'll lose a lot of marks for it as the examiner will have their own idea for what "disagreement" occurred, i wouldn't worry too much :smile:

thank you
Reply 7
Original post by Liqht

What if you wrote about an argument by accident but mentioned that you would include a disagreement in your plan
Reply 8
Original post by Danhtv
What if you wrote about an argument by accident but mentioned that you would include a disagreement in your plan

argument, disagreement, same thing, I'm sure, point is there's an element of conflict between two people or even internal disagreement/conflict, everyone interprets it differently, if you wrote a good piece, you'll get marks :smile:

Quick Reply