The Student Room Group

EPQ or AS further maths

I am a first year student in college. I am doing Maths, computer science and IT A levels. I finished my IT course and since I am a full time student i need to pick another subject in September. I prefer doing course work and project so that's why I think EPQ is good to do; I will finish it by march and then I can focus on my A levels to get high grades. However, Further maths might help me with my maths A level as well but the facts that I will have 10 hours of maths per week and it is exam based make me feel it would be risky. I would like to do computer science in uni. So any suggestions would be appreciated.
Original post by c'est moi rosie
I am a first year student in college. I am doing Maths, computer science and IT A levels. I finished my IT course and since I am a full time student i need to pick another subject in September. I prefer doing course work and project so that's why I think EPQ is good to do; I will finish it by march and then I can focus on my A levels to get high grades. However, Further maths might help me with my maths A level as well but the facts that I will have 10 hours of maths per week and it is exam based make me feel it would be risky. I would like to do computer science in uni. So any suggestions would be appreciated.
For computer science in uni I would check the course specific requirements. a few unis have further maths compulsory (though this is more likely to be true for a joint in Maths and Computer Science), while some recommend it at least to AS level (e.g Oxbridge).

Most don’t require it at all, only requiring A-level maths.

However, for computer science, unis will like some proof you have extended your interests and learning a little beyond A-Level for example by doing STEP. An EPQ on computer science or maths will also work. I know a few people in my year (I am also in year 12) who are applying for computer science and are doing EPQs based on maths modelling or computer science algorithms.

Check out the ucas official site to find entry requirements
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/computer-science
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply