The Student Room Group

A level geography

I’m really struggling with A level geography at the moment since in my class tests I’ve gotten two E’s and 1 C as of recent. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve? I really want to get into UCL but I need an AAA for the course I want to do
Reply 1
hello! what exam board do you do?
Original post by vesperrr
hello! what exam board do you do?

Hiya! I do edexcel
Reply 3
Ah im not sure i will be of much help then 😖 I would say to look at the mark schemes to see what the questions are actually assessing you for, ask to have a look at work of people in your class that’s doing better and have a chat with your teacher?
I found the high mark questions quite hard so my teacher would set me a question to plan each week and then she would mark it and tell me what was missing - perhaps doing something like this would be useful?
Have a look at your exam papers and see what you are loosing marks for is it knowledge, analysis etc - or is it also because you are running out of time as well so loosing marks there too? If it’s timing try doing some timed practice of all questions - yes doing timed for the large mark questions is good but I found that actually on the smaller mark questions where there was a source I was spending so much time looking at those which left me with less time for the others. But if I set a timer and gave myself how many minutes I actually have in an exam to do it, I was answering them pretty good. You have to be pretty clinical about timing 🙂
I do AQA though so I’m not sure how similar the assessments are.
Essay plans and practice will be ur best step moving forward - you are in year 12 still so you still have so much time to turn it around. If you use your time well and I am sure you will do way better at the end of it all!!!
What I find best to do is to rewrite my notes over and over again. If you know the knowledge it’ll be a lot easier to throw all the information down at the paper. Use the PEEL structure for longer marked questions (8-20, Point, Example, Explanation, Link) And for 20 markers you can even use ASSPEEL, which is the same as before but with the assessment element in each paragraph.

Also, don’t rely on getting into a top university too because that was my dream, but being realistic, I was unlikely to get A’s across the board. Even now I’m doing my A Levels currently and I have one subject letting me down. University ranks don’t mean a lot these days it’s what you know and what grade you come out with after doing your degree.

If you need any help in your NEA as well for geography feel free to let me know 🙂
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by vesperrr
Ah im not sure i will be of much help then 😖 I would say to look at the mark schemes to see what the questions are actually assessing you for, ask to have a look at work of people in your class that’s doing better and have a chat with your teacher?
I found the high mark questions quite hard so my teacher would set me a question to plan each week and then she would mark it and tell me what was missing - perhaps doing something like this would be useful?
Have a look at your exam papers and see what you are loosing marks for is it knowledge, analysis etc - or is it also because you are running out of time as well so loosing marks there too? If it’s timing try doing some timed practice of all questions - yes doing timed for the large mark questions is good but I found that actually on the smaller mark questions where there was a source I was spending so much time looking at those which left me with less time for the others. But if I set a timer and gave myself how many minutes I actually have in an exam to do it, I was answering them pretty good. You have to be pretty clinical about timing 🙂
I do AQA though so I’m not sure how similar the assessments are.
Essay plans and practice will be ur best step moving forward - you are in year 12 still so you still have so much time to turn it around. If you use your time well and I am sure you will do way better at the end of it all!!!

Hiya i do AQA alevel geography. i was just wondering what is your optional topic for Human geography? Because mine is resource security and im quite struggling on that since seneca doesnt do that topic and my human geography teacher is quite rubbish at teaching. My alevel geography end of year exams are in 3 weeks and im really scared.
Reply 6
Original post by blind-ranger
Hiya i do AQA alevel geography. i was just wondering what is your optional topic for Human geography? Because mine is resource security and im quite struggling on that since seneca doesnt do that topic and my human geography teacher is quite rubbish at teaching. My alevel geography end of year exams are in 3 weeks and im really scared.

Hey I don’t do that topic sadly 😢 Have you got the CGP revision guide? I find it really helpful for going over the bits I don’t understand

Quick Reply