The Student Room Group

Which dental schools are the best?

I’m not sure why Kings college is ranked higher in the world rank but nearly to the end of the list in uk. Does anyone know the reasons? Also, is Bristol a good dental school. I have checked on the admission statistics for the past few years and the number of applicants applying to bristol are dropping every year. Why?
Original post by Fishywy
I’m not sure why Kings college is ranked higher in the world rank but nearly to the end of the list in uk. Does anyone know the reasons? Also, is Bristol a good dental school. I have checked on the admission statistics for the past few years and the number of applicants applying to bristol are dropping every year. Why?
Hi I’m doing my GCSEs at the moment but I really want to study dentistry too but specifically at KCL. I’ve done some research into it and I did find it quite odd how both Glasgow and Dundee are ranked higher than Kings in the Uk however Kings is ranked highest globally.
Firstly, I believe the ranking system many websites follow is based of many other factors than purely academic performance, like entry requirements, cost of accommodation, cost of travel ect. And I do know for a fact London is quite expensive.
Secondly, I believe KCL is ranked best dental school because of the high entry requirements.
They require A*AA and gcse grades ideally 7-9 with minimum of maths and English at 6/B
Regarding Bristol, with my current knowledge all dental schools teach their students the same as it is a standard government requirement so of course Bristol is a good uni, many people may be dropping out due to not liking City life or preferring more quiet areas like Cardiff or Plymouth, they might not like the campus either or the clubs and societies it offers.
Hope this helps! (Ps pls take my reply with a pinch of salt as I am still sitting my GCSEs, this is purely based of my personal research)
Reply 2
Original post by Fishywy

According to the Guardian. It is currently Plymouth then Queens in Belfast https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2023/sep/09/best-uk-universities-for-dentistry-league-table
Original post by Hhhxx
According to the Guardian. It is currently Plymouth then Queens in Belfast https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2023/sep/09/best-uk-universities-for-dentistry-league-table

Again it depends on which league table - with UK ones they tend to base it off of student satisfaction which is objective and hard to calculate, depending on how you run the study or what you factor in it can tell you different results. It tends to be that places that are more expensive e.g. London have less student satisfaction as students are too poor to actually do anything.
International league tables e.g. QS look at overall reputation, teaching, research being done - these are more qualitative so tend to all be more similar

Quick Reply