The Student Room Group

Pc for chemical engineering degree

I’ve applied for a chemical engineering undergraduate course for September, I’ve been wondering if it’s ok for me to build a pc over the summer for the course? Or is it a must to buy a laptop?? If it is an absolute must to buy a laptop which laptop should I get?
Reply 1
Original post by yacine0263
I’ve applied for a chemical engineering undergraduate course for September, I’ve been wondering if it’s ok for me to build a pc over the summer for the course? Or is it a must to buy a laptop?? If it is an absolute must to buy a laptop which laptop should I get?

Best thing to do is contact the faculty and enquire, but odds are any work you have to do that requires a computer will be done in labs- the main restriction on going without a computer of any sort is going to be competing assignments. But if you're happy using the library while you put your computer together, then it should be an issue.

As for laptop suggestions, what's your budget?
Reply 2
Original post by TNGFR
Best thing to do is contact the faculty and enquire, but odds are any work you have to do that requires a computer will be done in labs- the main restriction on going without a computer of any sort is going to be competing assignments. But if you're happy using the library while you put your computer together, then it should be an issue.
As for laptop suggestions, what's your budget?

Thanks for the information, I’d say my budget is around 1500.
Reply 3
Thanks for the information, I’d say my budget is around 1500.

That's a solid budget for whichever route you want to go down.

For laptops I'd go for this Asus ROG G14, a well regarded laptop for its combination of power and portability- 8 cores and 16 threads alongside 16GB of RAM will be more than enough for most of the tasks you'll be doing, with an RTX 4060 GPU for if you need to do any sort of 3D modelling (plus the option for playing games on it as an added perk), all in a nice compact package. Unlike a lot of the laptops in this size class the RAM can still be upgraded if you found your workloads benefit further down the line of your course.

Alternatively for a desktop, I'd be looking at something along these lines;

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LK8pwg

Lots of processing cores, 16GB of RAM with two channels free for doubling up without having to replace the original set, a solid GPU with loads of VRAM for tasks that can make use of it, and an extremely fast SSD. The rest of the parts I just picked solid bang for the buck options that leave £350 for the screen and peripherals.
Reply 4
Original post by TNGFR
That's a solid budget for whichever route you want to go down.
For laptops I'd go for this Asus ROG G14, a well regarded laptop for its combination of power and portability- 8 cores and 16 threads alongside 16GB of RAM will be more than enough for most of the tasks you'll be doing, with an RTX 4060 GPU for if you need to do any sort of 3D modelling (plus the option for playing games on it as an added perk), all in a nice compact package. Unlike a lot of the laptops in this size class the RAM can still be upgraded if you found your workloads benefit further down the line of your course.
Alternatively for a desktop, I'd be looking at something along these lines;
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LK8pwg
Lots of processing cores, 16GB of RAM with two channels free for doubling up without having to replace the original set, a solid GPU with loads of VRAM for tasks that can make use of it, and an extremely fast SSD. The rest of the parts I just picked solid bang for the buck options that leave £350 for the screen and peripherals.

Thank u so much. You’ve been a big help!

You haven't told us your mobility profile.
How will you get to uni each term? A desktop PC would be a pain to take to the other end of the country by coach or train along with all your other stuff.
At uni will you be travelling via car, foot, bus train?
What sort of physical build are you? Heavyweight boxer or 1500 metre runner or something else?

What applications will you be running? Word, email, web browsing, video conferencing, spreadsheets, chemical engineering modelling apps? Anything else? Such as games, if so which games?

It could be that 2 computers would be a great solution for you. A laptop, such as a used premium business laptop and either a mobile workstation or a desktop PC.

Quick Reply