The Student Room Group

Y13 summer before uni

I'm in y13 currently doing my A-Levels and I just needed advice on what to do this summer so I don't end up rotting in my room doing nothing.

I want to do law at QMUL - should I learn anything in advance or get work experience this summer before uni starts?

What else should I do? I would appreciate some advice from current uni students, law students or not.

Original post by julianjoy
I'm in y13 currently doing my A-Levels and I just needed advice on what to do this summer so I don't end up rotting in my room doing nothing.
I want to do law at QMUL - should I learn anything in advance or get work experience this summer before uni starts?
What else should I do? I would appreciate some advice from current uni students, law students or not.

Hi, I'm a y12 student, so not quite what you were after, but I intend to spend the summer between y13 and uni spending time with family, friends, and doing my favourite things and days out nearby - make the most before i have to move away for uni. Just enjoy it. Maybe do a little reading etc for your course, but most importantly just enjoy the life you got now. Just do what you love - spend time with family, do your favourite hobbies, go out with your friends, go for walks etc. Make tye most of a nice long summer before you get busy with uni.

Hi there

It is great that you are looking at plans during summer holidays. 🙂 If you are looking at entering a law career, getting some work experience can be a good idea. I was able to secure volunteering opportunities by writing to local firms- I think these look very good on your CV, and firms do look at these too. 🙂 However, many employers understand that law opportunities are quite difficult to acquire, so do not worry too much if you cannot find anything legal related. Instead, other non-legal work experiences allow you to gain transferrable skills that are really helpful too.

Other than that, your University may have some tasks for you to complete (perhaps on their website? as part of enrolment? Make sure you complete these tasks .🙂) If you fancy to, you could look at some reading lists provided by the University, but you do not have to. I would definitely echo the comment above and agree that you should enjoy your holiday before University. 🙂

Hope you have a nice summer.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there,

It's great that you are planning how to spend your summer and trying to get prepared.

As it has been said, if you are interested in doing so, it might be a good idea to look at volunteering or work experience opportunities in your subject area. These would be great to have on your resume, and it wouldn't hurt to look into/get involved in if that is something you'd be interested in!

It would also be useful to see if your university has a reading list you can access. You could also use your university's 'Chat to a Student' feature, linked here, to find students on your course or get advice from those studying there.

Aside from this, enjoy your summer! Take a well-deserved break from studying, spend time with your friends and family, and enjoy your local area before you make the move to university!

I hope this helps and enjoy your summer,

Isabella 🙂
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Get a job and maybe some volunteering with CAB?

Hi @julianjoy
If you could find some law related work experience, this would be a great opportunity before you start university. But don't worry if you cant find any/don't want to do any work experience over summer, there will be plenty of opportunities to apply for internships or placements whilst at university.
Also, I'd recommend taking a break from studying over summer to allow yourself to relax and spend lots of time with family and friends over the summer before you more away for university.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

@julianjoy

If you can get a summer job, this might be useful going forward. It could be a job that you return to over the next few summers and could help you earn that extra bit of cash for the start of uni, when you tend to spend more.

It would also be good to try and spend time with your college/ sixth form friends before you part ways in September. All being well, you will be able to meet during university holidays or by arranging visits during uni, but this might be the last time for awhile that you spend good quality time with them. Friendships can drift, especially as you make new friends and begin to make plans to spend time with them, so do make the most of the chance to spend time with your closest friends.

Finally, make the most of the summer to do the things you have been unable to do due to revision or which you have been able to do less of because of your studies, so reading for leisure, watching sport, playing sport etc....Enjoy the time rather than seeing it as a burden. Enjoy the chance to be spontaneous with your plans and the chance to live unhurried or rushed get lots of vitamin D!

Have a great summer,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply