The Student Room Group

Film at university or apprenticeship

I am currently in year 12 studying business, media studies and fine art at A levels (aming for a minimumin of BBB). I am trying to figure out whether I would like to go to university or do an apprenticeship in film. I currently live in Nottingham and I don't want to travel a long distance. I am looking to study film and I would enjoy a more practical course rather than written based as well as I don't seek to work in social media or digital/animation. Does anyone recommend any university/university courses or also any apprenticeships that I could potentially do and enjoy? Thanks.
Doing an appertinceship in film is highly unlikely, if you want to go into tv i recommend BBC appertinceships. I am about to do film at napier 2024 and have done a lot of research. I reccomend looking into arts based universities as they tend to be entirely practical based. Just pick a university with strong links to industry and accredited by screen skills or CILECT
Hi, I could let you know about some of our film course at Liverpool John Moores University. I'm aware you don't want to travel too far, but these courses could be of interest to you:

Film Studies: https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2024/33010-film-studies-ba-
The film course is split into three years. In the first year you will sit the following modules:

Production Skills- Learning in depth how to set up a film scene, how to use the camera equipment, the sound kit, lighting panels, everything you will need when going to a filming shoot.

Post-Production Skills- Learning in depth how to edit a film. You will learn everything from how to transition from shots to make a scene, how to colour grade, sound mixing, how to create effects, etc.

Writing for Screen- This module teaches students how to come up with an idea for a film as well as writing a screenplay. Students are taught how to format a screenplay and how to realistically write dialogue.

Film Language- Learning the importance of mise-en-scene, cinematography, editing, sound, themes, motifs, narrative and narration in terms of film and how they all work together to create meaning.

Film Theory- Learning the main theoretical elements of film and how they can be applied to films that already exist in the world, but also how you could apply them to your own films. The module covers film form such as realism, formalism and the concept of the auteur, as well as representational theories of feminism, masculinity, queer theory, disability, race and ethnicity as well as political themes of marxism and psychoanalysis.

British Social Realism- This module introduces you to the history of British film and documentary, helping you understand the history of British film to help shift and make way for upcoming British film that you could create.

In the course's second year, there is a lot more choice in terms of modules, so you could decide to be a lot more practical. The practical modules we offer in second year are:

Fiction Filmmaking- Where you can make your own 3-5 minute short fiction film.

Documentary Filmmaking- Where you can make your own 3-5 minute short documentary film.

Experimental Filmmaking- Where you can make your own 3-5 minute short experimental film.

Audio-visual Essay- Teaches you more editing skills, allowing you to talk about an element of film that really interests you, and editing your project in a way that is interesting and engaging.

The semi-practical modules we offer are:

Film Adaptation- Where you will be able to create your own adapted screenplay based on a material that already exists in the world.

Working in Film- This module allows you to conduct research into the future job opportunity you want in the future, you will conduct research into the role, how you aim to get there and create a presentation based on your research. This module also hosts many networking sessions and allows you to meet and talk to industry professionals.

I hope this helps, I know it doesn't exactly answer your question, but it could give you some insight into the options you have available to you 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by fr0gsarecool
Doing an appertinceship in film is highly unlikely, if you want to go into tv i recommend BBC appertinceships. I am about to do film at napier 2024 and have done a lot of research. I reccomend looking into arts based universities as they tend to be entirely practical based. Just pick a university with strong links to industry and accredited by screen skills or CILECT

Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by LJMUStudentReps
Hi, I could let you know about some of our film course at Liverpool John Moores University. I'm aware you don't want to travel too far, but these courses could be of interest to you:
Film Studies: https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2024/33010-film-studies-ba-
The film course is split into three years. In the first year you will sit the following modules:

Production Skills- Learning in depth how to set up a film scene, how to use the camera equipment, the sound kit, lighting panels, everything you will need when going to a filming shoot.

Post-Production Skills- Learning in depth how to edit a film. You will learn everything from how to transition from shots to make a scene, how to colour grade, sound mixing, how to create effects, etc.

Writing for Screen- This module teaches students how to come up with an idea for a film as well as writing a screenplay. Students are taught how to format a screenplay and how to realistically write dialogue.

Film Language- Learning the importance of mise-en-scene, cinematography, editing, sound, themes, motifs, narrative and narration in terms of film and how they all work together to create meaning.

Film Theory- Learning the main theoretical elements of film and how they can be applied to films that already exist in the world, but also how you could apply them to your own films. The module covers film form such as realism, formalism and the concept of the auteur, as well as representational theories of feminism, masculinity, queer theory, disability, race and ethnicity as well as political themes of marxism and psychoanalysis.

British Social Realism- This module introduces you to the history of British film and documentary, helping you understand the history of British film to help shift and make way for upcoming British film that you could create.

In the course's second year, there is a lot more choice in terms of modules, so you could decide to be a lot more practical. The practical modules we offer in second year are:

Fiction Filmmaking- Where you can make your own 3-5 minute short fiction film.

Documentary Filmmaking- Where you can make your own 3-5 minute short documentary film.

Experimental Filmmaking- Where you can make your own 3-5 minute short experimental film.

Audio-visual Essay- Teaches you more editing skills, allowing you to talk about an element of film that really interests you, and editing your project in a way that is interesting and engaging.

The semi-practical modules we offer are:

Film Adaptation- Where you will be able to create your own adapted screenplay based on a material that already exists in the world.

Working in Film- This module allows you to conduct research into the future job opportunity you want in the future, you will conduct research into the role, how you aim to get there and create a presentation based on your research. This module also hosts many networking sessions and allows you to meet and talk to industry professionals.

I hope this helps, I know it doesn't exactly answer your question, but it could give you some insight into the options you have available to you 🙂

Thank you 🙂

Quick Reply