The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE: advice for EXTRAcurriculars and Personal statement

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and after having done a few of my GCSEs here is how i think i'll do.

math: 9
eng lang: 7
eng lit: 7
chem: 9
bio: 9
phys: 9
fmsq: 8
drama: 6
history: 7
french: 6
spanish: 6
comp sci: 6
RE: 9

I'm taking Maths, Further maths, Economics, and Philosophy
I've only done 1 Investin work experience, and looking to complete some forage ones.
i also have experience in writing some PSs

Any advice for yr 12 and 13,
LSE and Oxford are my top choices.

many thanks.
Original post by Terena27
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and after having done a few of my GCSEs here is how i think i'll do.
I've only done 1 Investin work experience, and looking to complete some forage ones.
many thanks.

in personal statements, they don't particularly care about your gcse grades as they want to know why you are interested in the course that you want to do at this so university (but that is not for me to know as i have not applied to oxford because it is out of my league, but who knows, they may want your gcse results and they may not). you could use your work experience to talk about the skills gained and how they are transferable for your future career.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
many thanks.
Hi, LSE don’t really care about your GCSEs, mostly your A-Levels, though they may request a certain gcse grade for English language. I would check the requirements.

For further work experience, I would recommend Springpod as it has economics work experience that is virtual and you can complete it in your own time (takes two days for me on average), and receive a certificate
Reply 3
many thanks.

Elite UK unis like Ox, Camb, LSE etc really don't care about extra curriculars like work experience (except for vet/med), being captains of sports teams, DoE, music grades etc. They only care about super curriculars i.e. academic things that are directly related to the course you are applying to.

Focus 100% on getting the best GCSE grades possible, then if you are on track for A* at A-level you can apply for Oxbridge etc, and do the super curriculars required.
Reply 4
Original post by lalexm
Elite UK unis like Ox, Camb, LSE etc really don't care about extra curriculars like work experience (except for vet/med), being captains of sports teams, DoE, music grades etc. They only care about super curriculars i.e. academic things that are directly related to the course you are applying to.
Focus 100% on getting the best GCSE grades possible, then if you are on track for A* at A-level you can apply for Oxbridge etc, and do the super curriculars required.

Could you give any examples of superextracuriculars that would have anything to do with investment banking, PPE or historical PPE, that would be really helpful
Reply 5
Could you give any examples of superextracuriculars that would have anything to do with investment banking, PPE or historical PPE, that would be really helpful

The super curriculars should be related to the degree subject you are applying for, not the job you eventually want to end up in. For PPE for example, you could read and analyse books, do MOOCs, enter essay competitions, do an EPQ, attend seminars, listen to podcasts etc in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.
many thanks.

read books related to the course, watch uni lectures, do essay competitions, debate clubs/competitions, work experience, summer schools etc
Original post by lalexm

what are some good super curricular's to do related to international relations?
Reply 8
Original post by hlchrist1
what are some good super curricular's to do related to international relations?

Good super curriculars are things like reading and analysing books, doing MOOCs, attending seminars/talks, doing essay competitions, listening to podcasts, interviewing people, EPQ etc. Of course all these should be related to the subject that you are applying for. Maybe for IR you also want to research Chatham House, UN, WHO, WTO and NGO's like Amnesty International, BRAC, Human Rights Watch, Medicins Sans Frontieres etc.

Quick Reply