The Student Room Group

Evaluation of mundane realism

When evaluating studies which lack mundane realism how could I explain that it’s a weakness and how it affects the validity of the study. Could someone explain please?
when a study lacks mundane realism, it also lacks ecological/external validity because you cannot transfer the behaviour they display in the study to real life context. so then you can also say it lacks generalisability. this is due to artifcal tasks, situations, settings etc
Reply 2
Original post by kkskekejj
when a study lacks mundane realism, it also lacks ecological/external validity because you cannot transfer the behaviour they display in the study to real life context. so then you can also say it lacks generalisability. this is due to artifcal tasks, situations, settings etc

So could I say it’s lacks generalisability to real life situations such as resistance to conformity to dangerous behaviours such as use of drugs? It doesn’t explain how if there’s someone else that goes against the majority that perform dangerous behaviours such as taking drugs the presence of this person may increase another persons chances of resisting to conform to that behaviour because they feel less social pressure
Reply 3
Original post by Wilita
So could I say it’s lacks generalisability to real life situations such as resistance to conformity to dangerous behaviours such as use of drugs? It doesn’t explain how if there’s someone else that goes against the majority that perform dangerous behaviours such as taking drugs the presence of this person may increase another persons chances of resisting to conform to that behaviour because they feel less social pressure
Btw I’m using this as a counter point to Allen and Levines supporting research into resistance to conformity
Original post by Wilita
Btw I’m using this as a counter point to Allen and Levines supporting research into resistance to conformity

ahh I see. makes more sense now - Allen and Levine's study was an Asch-type study which was a lab study... it was an artificial task and environment that they were under. you can talk about they how it doesn't apply to real life situations like the example you gave

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending