This discussion is closed.
Sianie
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Basically I have been going out with my boyfriend for awhile now but I haven't told my parents about him yet! :rolleyes: My friends have meet him and some of my family know about him. The thing is I have kinda of let him think that my parents know all about him! It's a long distance thing so it's not like he is round at my house all the time or anything!

There isn't really a reason for not telling my parents-just wanted to see how it went....didn't know at the time it would last so long! It's just that it's been a while and i'm worried that they will be upset I didn't tell them about him earlier-him being my first serious boyfriend and everything!

Let me guys know what u think....or what I should do!

Cheers xXx
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Knowing your parents like I do, I don't know.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tell them now before it gets longer and longer. I doubt they'll be upset. If you had a reason for not telling them they might, but as seen as you don't they should be fine.
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ermmmm depends what your parents are like

if they are laid back tell them
if not dont
F1 fanatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sianie)
Basically I have been going out with my boyfriend for awhile now but I haven't told my parents about him yet! :rolleyes: My friends have meet him and some of my family know about him. The thing is I have kinda of let him think that my parents know all about him! It's a long distance thing so it's not like he is round at my house all the time or anything!

There isn't really a reason for not telling my parents-just wanted to see how it went....didn't know at the time it would last so long! It's just that it's been a while and i'm worried that they will be upset I didn't tell them about him earlier-him being my first serious boyfriend and everything!

Cheers xXx
Well you got to tell them eventually if its serious. You may as well tell them now. Do you have to tell them how long its been going on. Just say you were friends before that
Sianie
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
My parents are quite laid back it's just that it's been about 9 months! And the fact I've said I've been going out with a friend when I've been seeing him instead! Also I know that his parent know about me, so as well as my parents I'm worried that he maybe annoyed because I let him belileve they knew! Which was very bad of me! Just feel uncomfortable with the fact I've lied, just wished I had been open from the beginning! Guess with it being my first proper relationship I was scared of it going wrong!
Evil Muffin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Cheers xXx
I can empathise with you: I've been with my boyfriend for 9 months and my dad doesn't know. I just don't feel comfortable talking about really personal stuff with him and I know he'll give me the old birds and the bees lecture (come on, I'm 18!).
Maybe approach your mum first and tell her, who in time will tell your dad. Eventually, you can arrange a meeting and then they can get to know your boyfriend. Just don't drop it on them suddenly.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maybe you should just drop subtle hints so that THEY ask YOU if you are seeing anyone? like, I don't know, sigh and look like there's a lot on your mind, etc. It's all about getting the opportunity I think. It'll be much easier if they realise something's up.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
**** Knows
Mrs_F
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Definately tell them. Just explain exactly like you have to us that you didn't want to say anything as you weren't sure if it would last but it's pretty serious now so you wanted them to know about it. They should be ok with it and even if they aren't at first they will soon come round enough as it isn't all that bad that you didn't tell them.
If you don't tell them soon it will get harder for you to tell them the longer you leave it. Let us know what you do and how it goes if you tell them! Good luck
Wild Thing
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Cheers xXx
My friend has a similar problem! She lives in Spain nd is going out with this guy in Mallorca. I know its only 7 hours by boat, but he wants to come here to see her. What should she do? Tell her parents and so hope and pray they'd let him sleep in her house? I mean if he comes, he won't sleep in a hotel no?? And she wants to go see him like at least once a month..should she tell her mum baring in mind that its her parents that are going to pay??
magiccarpet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
holy crap ive been seeing a guy since sept and my parents dono. they wont allow me to have a bf til im 20 im 19 now. i dono wat is worse, to tell them now or to tell them later. its so bloody stupid that parents restrict our actions on stuff like this as we are gonna do it anyway. prob is my bfs at uni with me we live at home
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
6.98%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.08%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.28%
It might lead to more bullying (93)
36.05%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.62%

Watched Threads