The Student Room Group

Feral children

Hi,since vocal chords are a natural development why do children who haven't been stimulated or ie kept locked up etc are unable to talk even if they've been rescued at say 8-9 yrs old?
Original post by Mokaco
Hi,since vocal chords are a natural development why do children who haven't been stimulated or ie kept locked up etc are unable to talk even if they've been rescued at say 8-9 yrs old?

i don't know if they should though because thats cruel
Original post by connerj0012
i don't know if they should though because thats cruel

I don't think op is stating children should be locked away, but asking why children whom have been abducted or lost for long periods of time away from people are not able to articulate eg the incestuous grandchildren of Fritzel who were born in captivity and locked away never had the opportunity learn to use their vocal cords beyond primal noises

Simply put, I believe is that they have no way of learning to use vocal cords for speech. I have hands but I cannot sign language because I have not been show or taught.
Original post by Mokaco

Definitely no expert, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's perhaps more to do with language development than vocal cord development. I would be surprised if these children couldn't make sounds, but learning a language without any language at all to compare it to would be immensely tough at that age; it's hard enough to learn a second language once you're older than perhaps 5ish.

Quick Reply