The Student Room Group

How can i improve my application for oxford university

Hi , i am an international A-levels student and i will be writing my exams in may of 2025 . I managed to bag 2A* (physics and math) and 4A (cs , biology , chemistry , esl) for my iGCSEs , i had a total of 6-7
months for prepping since i switched boards (icse to iGCSE) 7 months before the exams , i have read in places that oxford requires a minimum of 9 GCSEs so does this reduce my chances ?
I have also done 2 MOOCs and have recieved a certificate for them
1.HarvardX: Data Science: R Basics (Edx)
2. Particle Physics: an Introduction (coursera)
i also have a keen intrest in particle and high energy physics which is why i did these .
I am also doing a project on High energy astroparticle physics with a scientist at TIFR (india) and will complete it in about 6-7 months and will (hopefully) publish a paper with him . i have also written the AP exams (calc BC , physics 1,2,em) and managed to get a 5 in physics 1 and 2 , a 3 in physics c :em and a 4 in calc BC . i have also written and passed the NSEP and inPHO (currently in the training camp) , with all this done what chances do i have for OXFORD? and how can i improve it? (and the Reach scholarship)
Also my A level (CIE) subjects are :
physics
further maths
chemistry
(edited 1 month ago)
From the looks of it, you have done more than enough to prove yourself as both a worthy and a passionate candidate. As a home student, and as someone who applied to Oxford (but for languages), we did 9 GSCEs as a part of secondary school and then take 3-4 A-Levels before applying to Oxford. Some people do MOOCs, or work experience or extra GSCEs, but you seem to have gone above and beyond. Again, I did not apply for science/maths, but from what I see you have done so far, you are a VERY strong contender. What would be the most important now is preparing for admissions tests and the interviews because, assuming Oxford is going to accept you based off your impressive list of achievements, that is the next round that you have to pass before you can be accepted. So look up the admissions test for subject on the Oxford website and have a look, and practice interview techniques and social skills (especially your fluency in English if that is a problem). Good luck and you deserve a bright future! <3
jukilop
Hi , i am an international A-levels student and i will be writing my exams in may of 2025 . I managed to bag 2A* (physics and math) and 4A* (cs , biology , chemistry , esl) for my iGCSEs , i had a total of 6-7
months for prepping since i switched boards (icse to iGCSE) 7 months before the exams , i have read in places that oxford requires a minimum of 9 GCSEs so does this reduce my chances ?
I have also done 2 MOOCs and have recieved a certificate for them
1.HarvardX: Data Science: R Basics (Edx)
2. Particle Physics: an Introduction (coursera)
i also have a keen intrest in particle and high energy physics which is why i did these .
I am also doing a project on High energy astroparticle physics with a scientist at TIFR (india) and will complete it in about 6-7 months and will (hopefully) publish a paper with him . i have also written the AP exams (calc BC , physics 1,2,em) and managed to get a 5 in physics 1 and 2 , a 3 in physics c :em and a 4 in calc BC . i have also written and passed the NSEP and inPHO (currently in the training camp) , with all this done what chances do i have for OXFORD? and how can i improve it? (and the Reach scholarship)
Also my A level (CIE) subjects are :
physics
further maths
chemistry

Hi! I applied for Medicine this year but had a bad day on my admissions test so wasn't successful, but it does mean I know a fair bit about the STEM application process.
I'm not completely sure what all those achievements mean, but they seem very impressive. My advice would probably be try and attend a virtual open day or email the Physics department (I'm assuming you're applying for Physics?), ask about the number of iGCSEs. They care more about proportion of 789s on those GCSEs than how many, but it is still definitely something to check. On their website you can also find a graph to show what percentage of unsuccessful, interviewed unsuccessful and interviewed successful candidates got on their GCSE proportions of 789s and admissions test scores.
With regards to interview, watch the Oxford interview videos and YouTube and try and find some practise questions. Get in the habit of vocalising your entire thought process, they don't want to hear an anwer in 3 words, they want to understand your thought process and how you got there. Make sure you're ready to answer questions about the supercurriculars you listed but not just the maths and physics behind it, also the reason it interested you, room it has for future and applications and things. If not Oxford, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly at any University.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by reducto7082
Hi! I applied for Medicine this year but had a bad day on my admissions test so wasn't successful, but it does mean I know a fair bit about the STEM application process.
I'm not completely sure what all those achievements mean, but they seem very impressive. My advice would probably be try and attend a virtual open day or email the Physics department (I'm assuming you're applying for Physics?), ask about the number of iGCSEs. They care more about proportion of 789s on those GCSEs than how many, but it is still definitely something to check. On their website you can also find a graph to show what percentage of unsuccessful, interviewed unsuccessful and interviewed successful candidates got on their GCSE proportions of 789s and admissions test scores.
With regards to interview, watch the Oxford interview videos and YouTube and try and find some practise questions. Get in the habit of vocalising your entire thought process, they don't want to hear an anwer in 3 words, they want to understand your thought process and how you got there. Make sure you're ready to answer questions about the supercurriculars you listed but not just the maths and physics behind it, also the reason it interested you, room it has for future and applications and things. If not Oxford, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly at any University.
Good luck!

could you link the site ? i cannot find the graph.
and thanks for the advice
jukilop
could you link the site ? i cannot find the graph.
and thanks for the advice

Sure here are the Physics report from 2006, go for the 2023 one, it doesn't seem to show a graph of GCSEs but it does give some info about i:
https://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/study/undergraduates/how-apply/physics-aptitude-test-pat/physics-admissions-reports
As a comparison, here's the graph for the Medicine course, it's likely gonna be similar, this does clearly show GCSEs:
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics#:~:text=The%20overall%20success%20rate%20for,adjusted%20BMAT%20score%20was%2066.8%25.

Quick Reply