This discussion is closed.
tarona
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
My family is moving (for one semester only) to Cambridge. My dad went over this week to look into schools and housing. He's having some problems finding schools for my sister and I. I'm 17 (and therefore, not technically required to go to school), and my sister will be 15. A lot of schools just flat out refused to even speak with him. Do any of you have any ideas as to what we should do, or what schools we should look into? Any help would be greatly appriciated. ^_^
python05
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What country are you coming from?
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jmz635)
What country are you coming from?
I would venture a guess as to american. she said she was going to highschool in her profile. perhaps you sohuld just stay in the united states and have your dad work in england.....

my dad has had to do that between texas and california
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tarona)
My family is moving (for one semester only) to Cambridge. My dad went over this week to look into schools and housing. He's having some problems finding schools for my sister and I. I'm 17 (and therefore, not technically required to go to school), and my sister will be 15. A lot of schools just flat out refused to even speak with him. Do any of you have any ideas as to what we should do, or what schools we should look into? Any help would be greatly appriciated. ^_^
if you can go private i think you might have more luck? there's lots of private schools in cambridge.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You could try contacting the schools by e-mail or by phone instead.
Checking for Spies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by allisandro)
if you can go private i think you might have more luck? there's lots of private schools in cambridge.
Not everyone's loaded though lol :aetsch:
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *alicia*)
but not everyone & their dog has the right to come over to England, for 1 term only & have free schooling, especially if they're over 16.. :p:

tarona, i agree with some others..private schools are your best bet i think. unless you've already bene looking at those?
bellacoco
Report 14 years ago
Free schooling??? Foreigners are required to pay taxes as well
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bellacoco)
Free schooling??? Foreigners are required to pay taxes as well
yes..long term immigrants do, i know. :rolleyes:

but in this specific case of someone whose family is only going to be here for 2/3 months (semester length?) i can't imagine you'd be paying many taxes (especially if you're posted here, so being paid in a bank account elsewhere?) & even if you're EU (not sure where OP is from? ), i can't imagine many local LEA's would be able to provide a short term space. & if you're only on a temporary visa rather than being a resident- do they even have to?

pff, i don't know the legalities, just seems common sense to me. :p: & my (independent) school had quite a few people come for short periods while they were in this country due to parents occupation - though i think the firms usually paid.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by *alicia*)
hence "if you can ".

(Original post by Elles)

but in this specific case of someone whose family is only going to be here for 2/3 months (semester length?) i can't imagine you'd be paying many taxes (especially if you're posted here, so being paid in a bank account elsewhere?) & even if you're EU (not sure where OP is from? ), i can't imagine many local LEA's would be able to provide a short term space. & if you're only on a temporary visa rather than being a resident- do they even have to?

pff, i don't know the legalities, just seems common sense to me. :p: & my (independent) school had quite a few people come for short periods while they were in this country due to parents occupation - though i think the firms usually paid.
exactly.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)

most kids generally go to an american school overseas if they have one. (at least children for the oil companies) ex. American School in Kuwait, Paris, London, Scotland..ect.
af1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
stay in america tbh..it rocks
NMiller5a
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by af1)
stay in america tbh..it rocks
pfft.
Flukey
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NMiller5a)
pfft.
was that a sign of sarcasm..lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (129)
64.5%
No I haven't decided yet (42)
21%
Yes but I might change my mind (29)
14.5%

Watched Threads