The Student Room Group

working during the summer before starting first year of uni

hihi! i'm planning on working a part-time, twilight hours job of about 29 hours four days a week to have some savings before starting uni in september.

is this a good idea, or should i be focusing on enjoying this last period of time before starting uni/actual employment??
Original post by Anonymous
hihi! i'm planning on working a part-time, twilight hours job of about 29 hours four days a week to have some savings before starting uni in september.
is this a good idea, or should i be focusing on enjoying this last period of time before starting uni/actual employment??

Hi there,

It's good that you have a job so that you have some savings before you start uni! University can be expensive and depending on how much loan you will get, you may need extra money on top of this to help you through uni. If you already have some savings, this will take the pressure off you getting a job immediately so it depends when you would rather get a job.

You can still enjoy your summer and have a job so don't worry too much about this! Just make sure you still make time to see your friends and family and do things that you want to do as well as working. It's likely that some of your friends might have jobs too so it won't just be you so you won't be missing out on everything! It's good to balance work and doing things that you enjoy so try to get this balance right and make sure you are still doing things you enjoy.

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi there,
It's good that you have a job so that you have some savings before you start uni! University can be expensive and depending on how much loan you will get, you may need extra money on top of this to help you through uni. If you already have some savings, this will take the pressure off you getting a job immediately so it depends when you would rather get a job.
You can still enjoy your summer and have a job so don't worry too much about this! Just make sure you still make time to see your friends and family and do things that you want to do as well as working. It's likely that some of your friends might have jobs too so it won't just be you so you won't be missing out on everything! It's good to balance work and doing things that you enjoy so try to get this balance right and make sure you are still doing things you enjoy.
I hope this helps,
Lucy -SHU student ambassador :smile:
this definitely alleviates my worries, thank you so much!

Hi there! Its a smart idea to start preparing some savings before university :smile: As the above comment has said, the fact that you're doing part time is quite good, as it still allows you to perhaps do some of the things you've wanted to do with family or friends. It's quite important to not burn yourself out especially before university, so definitely make sure you're taking proper breaks!

But, first year of university tends to be rather relaxed in comparison to later years, as you are adjusting to university life and academics :smile: So I'd say its a solid idea to spend the time building up your savings!

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
It will make it easier to get a part time job when you start studies if you have recent employment. Hundreds of students will be job seeking upon arrival.
Reply 5
Original post by CardiffUni Rep 2
Hi there! Its a smart idea to start preparing some savings before university :smile: As the above comment has said, the fact that you're doing part time is quite good, as it still allows you to perhaps do some of the things you've wanted to do with family or friends. It's quite important to not burn yourself out especially before university, so definitely make sure you're taking proper breaks!
But, first year of university tends to be rather relaxed in comparison to later years, as you are adjusting to university life and academics :smile: So I'd say its a solid idea to spend the time building up your savings!
~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep

thank you for this advice!!
Reply 6
It will make it easier to get a part time job when you start studies if you have recent employment. Hundreds of students will be job seeking upon arrival.

definitely - and where i'm working has a lot of branches nationwide, so that would help if i could apply internally right??

Hi there,

It's great that you are planning on working before you start university, this will definitely take the pressure off a bit once you start!
If you are working about 29hrs a week, I would say that you still have plenty of time to enjoy yourself over summer! Make the most of your days off and enjoy the (hopefully) warm weather!

I hope this helps,
Rebecca, UCLan
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi there,
It's great that you are planning on working before you start university, this will definitely take the pressure off a bit once you start!
If you are working about 29hrs a week, I would say that you still have plenty of time to enjoy yourself over summer! Make the most of your days off and enjoy the (hopefully) warm weather!
I hope this helps,
Rebecca, UCLan

Thank you for your input!! I’ve actually got a twilight shift pattern of 4-midnight, which is before I usually end up sleeping anyway so hopefully I’ll still get to make the most of the summer days 😭 (if they’re actually summery, as you say)

Quick Reply