The Student Room Group

Reference list

Hi
I have submitted my assignment but then I realised some of the sources that I cited in my text, I forgot to include in my references list. I know I will get flagged for this, which I really feel bad about but how much mark do you think I will loose?
Hi! please don't worry about losing too many marks. University essays are usually marked from a criteria of the following:

Subject Content: How well you have understood the lecture content and whether you have summarised and included relevant information.

Presentation: To ensure you meet the correct layout for essays: for example, having it double spaced with page numbers.

Tone and Language: The way you have written your essay, whether it flows nicely, using academic terminology to sound sophisticated in your writing.

Research: The number of sources you have used and places you have cited. To show expansive research across websites, journal articles, newspapers, book chapters, video interviews, etc.

Formalities: Ensuring that your spelling, punctuation and grammar is correct, as well as your bibliography.

As you can see, the bibliography itself is only a small element of your assignment. Overall, you should only lose a few marks, but it is something to work towards in the future. It is also only one assignment, so don't worry, it's not the be all and end all as all your other assignments can help pull your grade up.
Hope this helps 🙂
Original post by Matterlyy
Hi
I have submitted my assignment but then I realised some of the sources that I cited in my text, I forgot to include in my references list. I know I will get flagged for this, which I really feel bad about but how much mark do you think I will loose?

Hello there,

I would advise you to look into the rubrics given for the assignment, as it will clearly describe what's expected for each grade classification. This will give you a better idea of what to expect. However, missing a few references in the list will not majorly affect your grade if the rest of the assignment is well written.
Best of luck!

Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).
Reply 3
Original post by LJMUStudentReps
Hi! please don't worry about losing too many marks. University essays are usually marked from a criteria of the following:

Subject Content: How well you have understood the lecture content and whether you have summarised and included relevant information.

Presentation: To ensure you meet the correct layout for essays: for example, having it double spaced with page numbers.

Tone and Language: The way you have written your essay, whether it flows nicely, using academic terminology to sound sophisticated in your writing.

Research: The number of sources you have used and places you have cited. To show expansive research across websites, journal articles, newspapers, book chapters, video interviews, etc.

Formalities: Ensuring that your spelling, punctuation and grammar is correct, as well as your bibliography.

As you can see, the bibliography itself is only a small element of your assignment. Overall, you should only lose a few marks, but it is something to work towards in the future. It is also only one assignment, so don't worry, it's not the be all and end all as all your other assignments can help pull your grade up.
Hope this helps 🙂

Thank you for breakdown of the marking scheme, and I promise to severally proofread my assignment in the future before submitting, to avoid this or any kind of mistakes.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hello there,
I would advise you to look into the rubrics given for the assignment, as it will clearly describe what's expected for each grade classification. This will give you a better idea of what to expect. However, missing a few references in the list will not majorly affect your grade if the rest of the assignment is well written.
Best of luck!
Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).

Thank you for your response, I do appreciate it.

Quick Reply