The Student Room Group

Nursing

I will be starting Access to Higher Education Nursing in my college this September. Before that i did research on adult nursing apprenticeship but I didn’t see some to apply so I applied for dental nursing apprenticeship which is 18 months. But my interest is in adult nurse so i wanted and apprenticeship for that. Should I just wait and start September with the HE nursing or I can start the dental apprenticeship and later switch? Also does anyone knows how u can apply for adult nurse apprenticeship
Original post by Samuella Antwi
I will be starting Access to Higher Education Nursing in my college this September. Before that i did research on adult nursing apprenticeship but I didn’t see some to apply so I applied for dental nursing apprenticeship which is 18 months. But my interest is in adult nurse so i wanted and apprenticeship for that. Should I just wait and start September with the HE nursing or I can start the dental apprenticeship and later switch? Also does anyone knows how u can apply for adult nurse apprenticeship

If you want to be a adult nurse working in hospitals helping people get better then I would suggest you apply for a nursing degree after completing your access course at university. Don't do dental nursing if you want to be a adult nurse as just choose the one or the other and make it your chosen career. You'll have better progression in gaining promotion with adult nursing whereas dental nurses stay basically on the same pay scale as far as I understand.
Apprenticeship you'll need to get your local health board trust/ hospitals to take you on as a apprentice rather than going to university for three years.
I would have perhaps you look into this with your local health board trust hospitals and see what they have available or apply for a university degree for adult nursing.

At least you'll be able to apply for any university once you complete your access course providing you pass everything you need to including attending placements.

A summer 2023 qualified adult nurse
Reply 2
Original post by Samuella Antwi

If you want to do adut nursing, please don't do dental nursing. Do your access course then an adult nursing degree.
Nursing apprenticeships tend to be advertised by the NHS hospital/community trust (England) or health board (Scotland and Wales).
There may not be any apprenticeships currently advertised for adult nursing, but you can always set alerts to your emails on the NHS jobs website. There are a fair few degree apprenticeships out there, however these either require you to be already be employed within the NHS (to do the full degree) or are for registered Nursing Associates to top up from associate to RN.

Is there any reason why it has to be an apprenticeship rather than goind down the standard university route?

Quick Reply