The Student Room Group

A-level Geography or A-level Computer Science?

I'm going to year 12 this autumn and am taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and I am debating between geography and computer science as a fourth subject. I think computer science would be helpful as it seems somewhat related to my other subjects, and especially as I am thinking of going into engineering at uni, I think it would provide me with some good skills. I think I'd enjoy it, though I didn't take it at GCSE. Geography also seems like a good/fun subject to take, I enjoyed it at GCSE and I think it'd be a nice mix between science/essay writing/humanitarian and it might just be interesting to take. Those are pretty much the only fourth subjects I was interested in taking, so which should I take? Which is a more enjoyable a-level and which would be best for me?
Original post by SpookyEgyptian
I'm going to year 12 this autumn and am taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and I am debating between geography and computer science as a fourth subject. I think computer science would be helpful as it seems somewhat related to my other subjects, and especially as I am thinking of going into engineering at uni, I think it would provide me with some good skills. I think I'd enjoy it, though I didn't take it at GCSE. Geography also seems like a good/fun subject to take, I enjoyed it at GCSE and I think it'd be a nice mix between science/essay writing/humanitarian and it might just be interesting to take. Those are pretty much the only fourth subjects I was interested in taking, so which should I take? Which is a more enjoyable a-level and which would be best for me?

It really doesn’t matter to a huge extent, as universities only really want 3 A Levels anyhow, so do whatever subject you think will be easiest to get a grade in as your other three subjects already seem to fit majority of engineering degree criteria’s anyhow.
Original post by greentiger
It really doesn’t matter to a huge extent, as universities only really want 3 A Levels anyhow, so do whatever subject you think will be easiest to get a grade in as your other three subjects already seem to fit majority of engineering degree criteria’s anyhow.

Yeah fair enough, thanks for the comment 🙂
Also, A Levels are a huge step up from GCSE, so you really don’t want too many incredibly difficult subjects.
Original post by greentiger
Also, A Levels are a huge step up from GCSE, so you really don’t want too many incredibly difficult subjects.

Makes sense, do you know which subject is easier between Geography and Computer science, or is it more just depending on the person?
Original post by SpookyEgyptian
Makes sense, do you know which subject is easier between Geography and Computer science, or is it more just depending on the person?

I do maths chemistry and geography, and taking geog has made me realise I am NOT made for humanities subjects. So if you’re like me in any way, and like/ are naturally good at stem subjects, alevel geography is a lott of writing and work and is a big step up, so you may not actually find it easier. I much prefer maths and chemistry, and find geog to be the hardest one, so just take into account that you might find stem subjects easier.

Quick Reply