The Student Room Group

Temporary absence evidence

Hi all, bear with me.

I'm a UK/EU dual citizen. I've applied for student finance (tuition, maintenance, etc), but I'm being asked to prove that my stay in the EU since December 2022 has been temporary due to employment. I previously lived in England for nearly 10 years. I have already provided:
- UK naturalisation certificate (electronic copy) (I previously only provided a share code)
- A student status letter showing I was registered on a UK full-time course until June 2023.
- Bank statements with UK addresses
- 2 EU fixed-term work contracts
- A recently renewed UK driving licence
- A reference from a UK employer showing my period of employment with them ended in January 2024

They requested more evidence and specifically noted the gap between my two temporary work contracts (June-November 2023). In response I was told to send a letter clarifying my residency history again, but I also added the following:
- UK income tax records
- EU income tax records

I will also be sending my UK naturalisation certificate. Nonetheless, I'm not sure how else to prove that my absence was temporary. I could additionally provide:
- NHS appointment reports
- EU health service appointment reports
- A contract with a UK company starting in September 2023
- June/July holiday booking information (this was a road trip organised by my dad so my name isn't on anything)
-Hospital records showing my partner was in hospital in August which is why I ultimately delayed looking for another temporary job.

Its very unclear what would suffice. Can anyone advise the best course of action?

Thank you!
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by priscol
Hi all, bear with me.
I'm a UK/EU dual citizen. I've applied for student finance (tuition, maintenance, etc), but I'm being asked to prove that my stay in the EU since December 2022 has been temporary due to employment. I previously lived in England for nearly 10 years. I have already provided:
- UK naturalisation certificate (electronic copy) (I previously only provided a share code)
- A student status letter showing I was registered on a UK full-time course until June 2023.
- Bank statements with UK addresses
- 2 EU fixed-term work contracts
- A recently renewed UK driving licence
- A reference from a UK employer showing my period of employment with them ended in January 2024
They requested more evidence and specifically noted the gap between my two temporary work contracts (June-November 2023). In response I was told to send a letter clarifying my residency history again, but I also added the following:
- UK income tax records
- EU income tax records
I will also be sending my UK naturalisation certificate. Nonetheless, I'm not sure how else to prove that my absence was temporary. I could additionally provide:
- NHS appointment reports
- EU health service appointment reports
- A contract with a UK company starting in September 2023
- June/July holiday booking information (this was a road trip organised by my dad so my name isn't on anything)
-Hospital records showing my partner was in hospital in August which is why I ultimately delayed looking for another temporary job.
Its very unclear what would suffice. Can anyone advise the best course of action?
Thank you!

Hi there,

During this time if you weren't working how were you supporting yourself? Did you still have links to the UK like bank accounts you used, mortgage/rent in the UK?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by claire sfe
Hi there,
During this time if you weren't working how were you supporting yourself? Did you still have links to the UK like bank accounts you used, mortgage/rent in the UK?
Thanks,
Claire

I used some savings for the period I wasn't working, but I was employed for the majority of the period in question. I still have bank accounts, I don't pay rent or mortgage, I'm still receiving NHS care, I'm registered to vote at my UK address.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by priscol
I used some savings for the period I wasn't working, but I was employed for the majority of the period in question. I still have bank accounts, I don't pay rent or mortgage, I'm still receiving NHS care, I'm registered to vote at my UK address.

I would send in the further evidence you mentioned above with a detailed letter explaining the timeline and anything that happened that stopped you working during this time. The team will review and confirm if its a been accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
I would send in the further evidence you mentioned above with a detailed letter explaining the timeline and anything that happened that stopped you working during this time. The team will review and confirm if its a been accepted or not.
Thanks,
Claire

Fantastic, thank you very much!
Original post by priscol
Fantastic, thank you very much!

You're welcome!
Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending