The Student Room Group

summer after gcses

Would it be a good decision to learn as content before starting yr12? I feel like it will put me in a better position seeing as my teachers for gcse rn aren’t the best (my grades are only achieved once I revise). I’m planning on learning as maths and chem, but I don’t know about biology since it has a lott of content

obviously I want to take the summer to relax, and not be constantly revising ofc
Reply 1
Original post by mmayaaa
Would it be a good decision to learn as content before starting yr12? I feel like it will put me in a better position seeing as my teachers for gcse rn aren’t the best (my grades are only achieved once I revise). I’m planning on learning as maths and chem, but I don’t know about biology since it has a lott of content
obviously I want to take the summer to relax, and not be constantly revising ofc

It's not necessary at all as you'll have two years to learn the courses anyway, but it might give you a more relaxing start to your higher education. If you do decide to get a head start, I recommend Mark Rowland's "Bridging GCSE and A-Level maths" which will be highly useful, and is ultimately only 9 short chapters.
Reply 2
Original post by Oli.bx
It's not necessary at all as you'll have two years to learn the courses anyway, but it might give you a more relaxing start to your higher education. If you do decide to get a head start, I recommend Mark Rowland's "Bridging GCSE and A-Level maths" which will be highly useful, and is ultimately only 9 short chapters.

thanks
Original post by mmayaaa

Don’t constantly study, make sure to enjoy your well deserved rest, but it is useful to preview topics. I would recommend previewing for biology and chemistry especially, so that the jump in content is not too great for you. For maths I would recommend CGP Head Start to A Level Maths, also check your schools curriculum plan so you know what will be taught in what order.

See if your school does any bridging activities.

For chemistry I would recommend Primrose Kitten Head Start to A Level Chemistry bridging book. For biology I would recommend buying the textbooks for your relevant exam board and having a look.

It’s also important when previewing you look at the structure of your a level course, e.g familiarise yourself with the components.

Here is a video that should help with maths and what you need to know about the course
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UFxzJ9BL9m8
Reply 4
Original post by kitty15
Don’t constantly study, make sure to enjoy your well deserved rest, but it is useful to preview topics. I would recommend previewing for biology and chemistry especially, so that the jump in content is not too great for you. For maths I would recommend CGP Head Start to A Level Maths, also check your schools curriculum plan so you know what will be taught in what order.
See if your school does any bridging activities.
For chemistry I would recommend Primrose Kitten Head Start to A Level Chemistry bridging book. For biology I would recommend buying the textbooks for your relevant exam board and having a look.
It’s also important when previewing you look at the structure of your a level course, e.g familiarise yourself with the components.
Here is a video that should help with maths and what you need to know about the course
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UFxzJ9BL9m8

do you have any recommendations for ocr further maths too?
Reply 5
Good to know I'm not alone in this, I was thinking of doing some light studying in the summer as I'm hoping to take 4 a-levels (same as you lol but also fm) so I think it would be good to do some studying to feel more confident/prepared for sixth form, but obviously, have a break too :biggrin:
Original post by mmayaaa
do you have any recommendations for ocr further maths too?
I would focus on previewing more for maths honestly, but if you need to do a bit of further maths maybe just buy the textbook your school uses and have a look through?
I do edexcel not ocr but my school starts further maths later (the final term of year 12). Look at your schools teaching plan maybe.

Quick Reply