The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Picking modules at university of Kent for LLB

I just accepted my offer at University of Kent and was confused about picking modules. When do I get to pick my modules and how many do I need per year? How many are mandatory and how many are from my preference. I appreciate anyone taking the time to help me.
Original post by Anonymous
I just accepted my offer at University of Kent and was confused about picking modules. When do I get to pick my modules and how many do I need per year? How many are mandatory and how many are from my preference. I appreciate anyone taking the time to help me.

This depends on your course. When you have enrolled you will be given information about your module choices and will be told which ones are compulsory and any optional modules you are able to choose including the weighting, assessment structure, teaching methods and duration. For example you may have some modules that only run in 1st semester or only in 2nd. Overall you will have to pick 120 credits with either a 60/60 split or a 70/50 or 50/70 split over the year. For first year I’d assume you don’t have too many modules to pick from but again it depends on ur course/ uni.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by simrankc26
This depends on your course. When you have enrolled you will be given information about your module choices and will be told which ones are compulsory and any optional modules you are able to choose including the weighting, assessment structure, teaching methods and duration. For example you may have some modules that only run in 1st semester or only in 2nd. Overall you will have to pick 120 credits with either a 60/60 split or a 70/50 or 50/70 split over the year. For first year I’d assume you don’t have too many modules to pick from but again it depends on ur course/ uni.

Thank you for the response. It is the university of Kent for LLB. Do you know when I am able to pick my modules for the year, do I have to wait to fully get accepted first since I have a conditional offer right now? And can I choose what time I might want to have a lecture for example if I don’t want a class early in the morning?
Original post by ShahAli18
Thank you for the response. It is the university of Kent for LLB. Do you know when I am able to pick my modules for the year, do I have to wait to fully get accepted first since I have a conditional offer right now? And can I choose what time I might want to have a lecture for example if I don’t want a class early in the morning?
You can’t choose when your lectures or seminars are this is a set time for everybody who does your course. When you enrol in September you’ll be able to choose your modules.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there

Congratulations on accepting your offer. 🙂 The Law LLB course consists of three years: first year's modules are all compulsory, so you do not have to worry about choosing your options for this year. These modules are designed to give you good basic understanding into the legal system and build strong foundations. It also permits you more time to learn about different modules available, perhaps by asking different students, so you can make a correct decision when it comes to picking your optional modules.

Each year, students take modules worth of 120 credits - though only second and third year count towards your degree's final grade (so 240 Credits in total). For second year modules, you will be asked to pick your optional module(s) at the end of first year, around March time I believe. In second year, there are 90 credits of compulsory modules, so you are able to pick 30 credits worth of optional modules. Modules are normally either 30 or 15 credits, so you can choose to pick one or two for your second year.

For third year modules selections, these will open during second year around March time. Again, you can pick 120 credits worth. In third year, there are no compulsory modules that you have to do, so you are free to make up the 120 credits however you like. 🙂 Do not worry if this sounds complicated at the moment. When module selections open up in March, the Law School will provide full explanations and guidance on applying for your optional modules. 🙂

Answering your question below: unfortunately, you are not able to choose what lecture you want to attend, as they are delivered once a week. However, lectures at Kent are recorded and will be available afterwards online, should you be unable to attend at a particular time. Other than lectures (which are large group teachings), there are also seminars (smaller group discussions). If you timetable clashes and you are unable to attend seminars at particular times, you may be able to request seminar group changes at the start of the year.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
Final Year Law Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending