The Student Room Group

A-levels

Hey I'm unsure on what a-levels I should go through next year. I'm not really passionate about any subjects I'm currently doing and so I just want to pick subjects that give me options in the future. Any suggestions please :smile:
Original post by Esme771
Hey I'm unsure on what a-levels I should go through next year. I'm not really passionate about any subjects I'm currently doing and so I just want to pick subjects that give me options in the future. Any suggestions please :smile:

It depends a lot on the grades you are getting right now and whether a college will admit you based on those grades.

As long as you’re doing well in it at GCSE, do Maths 🙏🙏 it’s my easiest subject personally and I love it, can be paired with virtually anything you want, opens so many doors and is highly respected by universities.

For anyone interested in applying to a top-quality university, Maths should be the very first subject on your list for A-Levels.
Original post by Esme771

Hi @Esme771 ,

I understand that you do not currently, have any "favourite" subjects, or anything that you are passionate. Could be due to many reasons:

The course you might like wasn't an option for GCSEs.

The content that you learn within the spec. isn't something that you are interested in.

I'd also suggest looking at what you do well in during GCSEs and looking at the spec for potential A-levels you might want to do.
Also something to think about is What is your end goal? After A-levels what is your dream job or which courses do you want to do within further education?

Answers to those questions will help navigate some A-level options.

Best wishes,
Kaprice R [3rd Year - BSc (Hons) Forensic Science]
LSBU Rep
Reply 3
Original post by GeorgeR2810
It depends a lot on the grades you are getting right now and whether a college will admit you based on those grades.
As long as you’re doing well in it at GCSE, do Maths 🙏🙏 it’s my easiest subject personally and I love it, can be paired with virtually anything you want, opens so many doors and is highly respected by universities.
For anyone interested in applying to a top-quality university, Maths should be the very first subject on your list for A-Levels.

I wish I was like you haha I only tolerate maths at this point 😆 my target says I can do it at level but I don't think id enjoy it verymuch. I picked chemistry as my mathy subject as I don't like physics. Thank you though this will help me get through the next two maths exams !!
Reply 4
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi @Esme771 ,
I understand that you do not currently, have any "favourite" subjects, or anything that you are passionate. Could be due to many reasons:

The course you might like wasn't an option for GCSEs.

The content that you learn within the spec. isn't something that you are interested in.

I'd also suggest looking at what you do well in during GCSEs and looking at the spec for potential A-levels you might want to do.
Also something to think about is What is your end goal? After A-levels what is your dream job or which courses do you want to do within further education?
Answers to those questions will help navigate some A-level options.
Best wishes,
Kaprice R [3rd Year - BSc (Hons) Forensic Science]
LSBU Rep

Yeah I'm doing well in chemistry and I've tried to pull my grades up in the other 2 sciences incase I want to go down that route but I'm just cautious of the jump between GCSEs and a-level content.. Thank you for this I've been trying to think about the end goal to help me be more motivated in my core subjects.
Original post by Esme771
I wish I was like you haha I only tolerate maths at this point 😆 my target says I can do it at level but I don't think id enjoy it verymuch. I picked chemistry as my mathy subject as I don't like physics. Thank you though this will help me get through the next two maths exams !!

i picked chem,phys,bio,math i would say to pick physics over chemistry any day of the week, as it is so much simpler it is like everyday things and chemistry you have to learn a lot harder content, and physics is a very well regarded a level by unis and it is a very good a level to have
Reply 6
I know that Maths is highly respected but easy?!?! 😭😭😭😭😭

In my opinion only do Maths if you like it because if you don’t you will be pulling your hair out like me right now
Original post by esha06
In my opinion only do Maths if you like it because if you don’t you will be pulling your hair out like me right now

yea only do maths if you like it
Reply 8
Original post by aditya nair12344
i picked chem,phys,bio,math i would say to pick physics over chemistry any day of the week, as it is so much simpler it is like everyday things and chemistry you have to learn a lot harder content, and physics is a very well regarded a level by unis and it is a very good a level to have

Really?? How math based is it though?
Thank you!
Original post by Esme771

Chem is definitely a good choice but do try to combine it with another STEM subject (biology or psychology or both could be a good shout). I wouldn’t rule out Maths straight away as A-Level is a lot different to GCSE have a look at some of the first Y12 topics as it’ll be a good indicator of whether or not it’s for you.

Keep humanities in mind too, myself I nearly picked Economics but the job prospects generally are not as good or as well-paid compared to STEM, but they can give your program a good amount of breadth. No matter what I would never advise anyone to go for less than 2 STEM subjects at once though as it can really restrict your university outlook for STEM courses as most universities want another science or maths.
Original post by Esme771
Really?? How math based is it though?
Thank you!

its not hard maths like even GCSE maths you just need to learn equation which will be easy as in physcis a level they will explain the reason behind each equation existing so it is much easier to remember and you get numbers in the question and you just sub it in, its not hard maths in physics, people think a level physics maths is hard...
Reply 11
Chem is definitely a good choice but do try to combine it with another STEM subject (biology or psychology or both could be a good shout). I wouldn’t rule out Maths straight away as A-Level is a lot different to GCSE have a look at some of the first Y12 topics as it’ll be a good indicator of whether or not it’s for you.
Keep humanities in mind too, myself I nearly picked Economics but the job prospects generally are not as good or as well-paid compared to STEM, but they can give your program a good amount of breadth. No matter what I would never advise anyone to go for less than 2 STEM subjects at once though as it can really restrict your university outlook for STEM courses as most universities want another science or maths.

Yeah this is my dilemma. I only like chemistry at the moment but I can be fickle when choosing what I like and dislike in school. I've been getting better at biology recently but I don't know if I will actually like it next year if I picked it. Everyone tells me to go with STEM because of the opportunities so that's probably my most likely decision at this point but economics has been in the mix for a while but I need to have a look at the content.
Original post by Esme771
Yeah this is my dilemma. I only like chemistry at the moment but I can be fickle when choosing what I like and dislike in school. I've been getting better at biology recently but I don't know if I will actually like it next year if I picked it. Everyone tells me to go with STEM because of the opportunities so that's probably my most likely decision at this point but economics has been in the mix for a while but I need to have a look at the content.

economics is good but job oppertunities are very low
Original post by esha06

I do Further Maths tbf and I want to do a Maths degree so don’t let my opinions on it represent everyone else. What I think of it is definitely not what most people think.

It’s one of those subjects though where you get out exactly what you put in, so rewarding when you can do really well at it.

Quick Reply