The Student Room Group

Computer Science Summer Projects

Hi,
I just finished my year 1 computer science degree.
I wanted to get some projects done to help me when I look for a placement year.

I started doing tryhackme just over a week ago, completed the beginner course and will carry on. Is this a good summer project to do?

And are there any other recommendations that will be good to do, as I want to do a few this summer.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Umayrc63
Hi,
I started doing tryhackme just over a week ago, completed the beginner course and will carry on. Is this a good summer project to do?
And are there any other recommendations that will be good to do, as I want to do a few this summer.
Thanks!

I'm not sure about courses specifically, but it might be good and worth your time looking into some Javascript (front end and backend dev), some Python for data analysis stuff (and maybe look into Flask as well here?) and the C family of languages.
Hi,
Thanks!

Hi,

A good summer project is the one that you are interested in and are able to stay motivated enough to complete/draw to near-completion 😆
Most importantly, however, what are your interests and what role are you looking to do in your placement year?
Is it machine learning, web development, or something else? Perhaps something like developing a chat bot could cover multiple areas: from UI design to programming and AI.
Here are some things worth checking out: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/tag/projects/
My advice would be:
A:

Come up with either a problem that you face or an interest.

Come up with a solution for it/ an idea.

Implement it, using a range of tools and incorporating multiple technologies, e.g. a website/app could involve you building a database with PostgreSQL, designing the interface and building the website/app using React, and enabling real-time communication/updates, etc., or perhaps some interesting backend logic...

B: Look into the placement role/ future career you wish to pursue. Check the job requirements. Use the role requirements to create a project.

Anyways, it is important that you stay consistent and enjoy your work, so make sure you consider those factors too.
If you have some idea of a field/direction you are interested in, then perhaps share it as it would encourage more relevant suggestions!

Good luck with your summer learning!
Polina,
Lancaster University SCC Ambassador.
Reply 3
Hi,
Thanks!

Why not make a thing? What are some things as a student that might make your life easier? Some sort of revision planner with links to resources? Organiser? Revision tools? Or something that is just interesting like a rubics cube solver or maze generator / solver?

Quick Reply