The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Might miss st andrews offer, wondering what my chances are of getting in

I got a conditional offer from st andrews. However, during my exams unfortunately a close relative passed away and I think it really affected my performance during the exam so I don't feel confident I will get the grades in their offer. I was wondering if st andrews offers exceptions for when things like this happen and if they may still let me in if don't meet their requirements fully.
Original post by Anonymous
I got a conditional offer from st andrews. However, during my exams unfortunately a close relative passed away and I think it really affected my performance during the exam so I don't feel confident I will get the grades in their offer. I was wondering if st andrews offers exceptions for when things like this happen and if they may still let me in if don't meet their requirements fully.
Hi, first of all I’m so sorry about your loss. I was wondering whether you’ve filled out any type of extenuating circumstances forms etc that they send to the exam board with info/ the exams affected. This will change ur mark slightly - e.g. you get a certain percentage added on to compensate. Also, if you still slightly miss the grades then on results day it might be worth ringing up and just explaining your circumstances. Hope this helps.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by simrankc26
Hi, first of all I’m so sorry about your loss. I was wondering whether you’ve filled out any type of extenuating circumstances forms etc that they send to the exam board with info/ the exams affected. This will change ur mark slightly - e.g. you get a certain percentage added on to compensate. Also, if you still slightly miss the grades then on results day it might be worth ringing up and just explaining your circumstances. Hope this helps.

Hi, yes I have filled out an extenuating circumstances form for one of my exams as I was ill.This exam I actually wasn't present for and my teacher told me that they would use my exam results from my prelim instead which was one if the marks i needed. The form sent in about my absence from the one exam was mostly about my illness. Would it be possible to send another form in for my other exams explaining how my relatives passing may have effected my results? Thanks for the advise
Original post by Aliurqhart37
Hi, yes I have filled out an extenuating circumstances form for one of my exams as I was ill.This exam I actually wasn't present for and my teacher told me that they would use my exam results from my prelim instead which was one if the marks i needed. The form sent in about my absence from the one exam was mostly about my illness. Would it be possible to send another form in for my other exams explaining how my relatives passing may have effected my results? Thanks for the advise

Yes you should be able to fill in another form regarding bereavement.
Reply 4
Original post by Aliurqhart37

I think the school should send one out to everyone and you fill it out as a separate form after you’ve completed all of your exams?

Quick Reply