The Student Room Group

Am I crazy to go into Nursing in this day and age?

I'm in my 30s and have decided to quit teaching to go into nursing, so it's back to school for me. I'm excited at the prospect of nursing someday and will begin my studies in 2026, but I work with nurses at the moment and I'm not exaggerating when I say that every single one - every. single. one. - is all burned out and have advised me against the profession. They've outright begged me to run for the hills and "not make the same mistake they made". Most of them came into the field with a burning passion for the job, and now they dread the next day of work, and the next, and the next. Of course there are good days, but it seems like the bad days can be *really* bad. Many have told me that they would easily pick any other profession if they could turn back time; for others, they've settled into the job because they have no other choice and are simply going through the motions. I'm trying not to be discouraged, and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone else reading this; I've seen the strikes, I know that nursing isn't all picnics and roses, and that stress comes with the job, but I didn't know it was this bad. These nurses are on survival mode.

As a former teacher, I had my own passion kicked out of me, so it's eerie how the nurses sound identical to me when I was at my rock-bottom during my teaching, and I wonder if I'm just jumping from one stressful career to another.

Are there any nursing students around that can share their experiences so far with their placements? Are you still looking forward to nursing someday despite the challenges?
I'm in my 30s and have decided to quit teaching to go into nursing, so it's back to school for me. I'm excited at the prospect of nursing someday and will begin my studies in 2026, but I work with nurses at the moment and I'm not exaggerating when I say that every single one - every. single. one. - is all burned out and have advised me against the profession. They've outright begged me to run for the hills and "not make the same mistake they made". Most of them came into the field with a burning passion for the job, and now they dread the next day of work, and the next, and the next. Of course there are good days, but it seems like the bad days can be *really* bad. Many have told me that they would easily pick any other profession if they could turn back time; for others, they've settled into the job because they have no other choice and are simply going through the motions. I'm trying not to be discouraged, and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone else reading this; I've seen the strikes, I know that nursing isn't all picnics and roses, and that stress comes with the job, but I didn't know it was this bad. These nurses are on survival mode.
As a former teacher, I had my own passion kicked out of me, so it's eerie how the nurses sound identical to me when I was at my rock-bottom during my teaching, and I wonder if I'm just jumping from one stressful career to another.
Are there any nursing students around that can share their experiences so far with their placements? Are you still looking forward to nursing someday despite the challenges?

Hey :wavey:

This is great that you want to go back to university as a mature student to train as a nurse!

Remember that everyone has different experiences and don't let this put you off!

Before you decide if you want to go to university to study as a nurse have a think of what you want to get out of it and try to look to the future to determine where you see yourself.

Nursing is very challenging and you will have bad days however, the pros outweigh the cons for many nurses.

If you want to make a difference to people's lives, care for people, be challenged and to walk into work with everyday being different this is the right career for you!

Check out this springpod subject spotlight video by our amazing lecturers at Canterbury Christ Church University to see if nursing is for you: https://www.springpod.com/subject-spotlights/canterbury-christ-church-university/adult-nursing/SS-00197

I am aware that you are already a teacher so have a busy life however, if you are able to do some work experience shadowing a nurse this might help you make up your mind to decide if nursing is for you.

Also, Springpod has some amazing free virtual work experience for nursing.

I hope this advice helps.

I am sure you will be an amazing nurse! :thumbsup:
facts are we are understaffed and underfunded. we cant preform our roles as we want. the only reason most of us are still working are the patients needs and our commitment to the role. the mangers suck they really have no interest in quality of care they are empire builders. do nursing for the right reasons. but you will be stressed, overworked and ignored.

Nursing student here. Qualify in 2 weeks. Do something else.
Original post by WhywhywhyDelilah
Nursing student here. Qualify in 2 weeks. Do something else.

Oh, and I'm 35, mature student, previous life experience, very much seen it all. Resilience coming out the wazoo... but when there's 0 support from uni or the workplace...
Do something else.
It's all paperwork and no time with patients. The people who spend time with patients are the HCSWs and HCAs.

Quick Reply