The Student Room Group

Move from German curriculum Oberstufe to IB

My son is currently studying at Class-10 at German Gymnasium. But due to the German level requirement not only for German as language subject but also for all subjects where there should NOT be any mistake from German grammar, article, punctuation marks etc, he is getting difficult to get a good note. Also as per current regulation, the Note will be minus by 2 points straight forward even though the written contents are correct for the subjects line Bio/Phy/Chem.
He is very much comfortable in English and studying any subject in English.
From this year Aug, he will be moving to Oberstufe and study to get Abitur. But In order to avoid bed result due to his poor knowledge in German, we are thinking to shift him to international school and plan for IB. Please share if there is any opinion on pros and cons on our thought.
Reply 1
Original post by manojpatra2
My son is currently studying at Class-10 at German Gymnasium. But due to the German level requirement not only for German as language subject but also for all subjects where there should NOT be any mistake from German grammar, article, punctuation marks etc, he is getting difficult to get a good note. Also as per current regulation, the Note will be minus by 2 points straight forward even though the written contents are correct for the subjects line Bio/Phy/Chem.
He is very much comfortable in English and studying any subject in English.
From this year Aug, he will be moving to Oberstufe and study to get Abitur. But In order to avoid bed result due to his poor knowledge in German, we are thinking to shift him to international school and plan for IB. Please share if there is any opinion on pros and cons on our thought.

Hello,
An international student in Austria so I might try to answer this. Our school offers the Austrian matura (which needs a great deal of understanding Austrian German), the IB Diploma and A levels. Given your son's situation, he is definitely way better off taking the IB Diploma or A level compared to DIAP.
The only issue would be if he is ready to study the IB, if he's taking HL in Physics, Chemistry and Biology and presumably SL in Maths AA, German B/ab initio and another subject, plus the TOK, and dedicating enough time for community service to meet CAS requirements. Not forgetting the internal assessment and other day to day school assignment. While I definitely think IB is best for his situation compared to DIAP or A levels (where he'll narrow it down to 3 or 4 classes), I'd only recommend being ready for the IB Diploma workload as some people find it challenging and having to switch curriculum mid year due to its challenging nature.

But yes, in IB, he'll study most subjects in English and he can take German B or ab initio depending on his level and improve in that in the next two years, but also if he doesn't really want anymore German then he's surely better off in A level. But overall, highly recommend IB, am also doing German B while it's not my first or second language, and it's as good as it goes, compared to the emphasis if I did it in the Austrian matura or DIAP.
Hope this helps!

Quick Reply