The Student Room Group

Advice on BSc in Theoretical Physics

I'm going to be studying theoretical physics at Sheffield from September of this year. Is there anything I should be doing throughout the summer to prepare for the course?
Probably worth just enjoying the summer :smile:

Doing a quick bit of maths once a day or a couple times a week might be helpful so you don't totally forget that over the summer but probably not essential.

If you didn't do further maths then it might be helpful to familiarise yourself with at least the concept of matrices and complex numbers if they're new to you - not necessarily to "learn" them but just so you know what they are for when you do encounter them and are taught about them in the course.

But really I'd say just enjoy the summer and consider any of the above as an optional thing to do if you happen to get bored over the summer!
Original post by Oli.bx
I'm going to be studying theoretical physics at Sheffield from September of this year. Is there anything I should be doing throughout the summer to prepare for the course?

Read The Three Body Problem for fun?
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Probably worth just enjoying the summer :smile:
Doing a quick bit of maths once a day or a couple times a week might be helpful so you don't totally forget that over the summer but probably not essential.
If you didn't do further maths then it might be helpful to familiarise yourself with at least the concept of matrices and complex numbers if they're new to you - not necessarily to "learn" them but just so you know what they are for when you do encounter them and are taught about them in the course.
But really I'd say just enjoy the summer and consider any of the above as an optional thing to do if you happen to get bored over the summer!

Thank you so much for the advice. I took further maths but know that there's quite a lot more that I missed by not doing the further pure options so might therefore look through those. I'll definitely be doing some maths through summer though as you've suggested!
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Read The Three Body Problem for fun?
I'll check it out! Is that the book they just made into a show?
Original post by Oli.bx
I'll check it out! Is that the book they just made into a show?

Yes. It was a Chinese TV series a while ago, there's currently a new version on Netflix. It's a trilogy.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes. It was a Chinese TV series a while ago, there's currently a new version on Netflix. It's a trilogy.

Ah brilliant thank you! I will definitely check out the book!
Original post by Oli.bx
Ah brilliant thank you! I will definitely check out the book!

Buy all three, the physics gets heavier as you go through them!
Reply 8
i would advise to self study maths and further maths before september, you have a lot of time so it really costs nothing. things like vector and matrix manipulation (multiplying, transpose, cross product), basic ODE stuff, patch up ur integral work and so on . it is more for the benefit of having a massive headstart by it is by far worth it. i found 1st year to be the most difficult

Quick Reply