The Student Room Group

Resits

Hi, I just had a question regarding a level resits. If you resit your exams the following summer, do you have to apply to uni the year after that (so taking 2 years out instead of 1 in a gap year)? Or can you apply during the same year you are resitting. I’ve heard people say different things and I just wanted some clarification. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by KCHAPBOI
Hi, I just had a question regarding a level resits. If you resit your exams the following summer, do you have to apply to uni the year after that (so taking 2 years out instead of 1 in a gap year)? Or can you apply during the same year you are resitting. I’ve heard people say different things and I just wanted some clarification. Thanks.

I believe you can apply for Uni for the same year that you're resitting. Just reapply for Uni as soon as the next school year starts to be early for a place on your chosen course and you should then be able to attend the same summer as resits.
Reply 2
Thanks, would unis take into account the fact that I am resitting and that my grades currently would be lower? So would that mean that I could apply to a uni that has a standard offer of A*AA if I got AAA in my normal a levels, and hopefully on my resits would get at least A*AA (I’m hoping to apply for Durham natural sciences btw). Or would unis look down on your current low grades?
Hi! I’m resitting my A Levels. First of all, yes you would resist your exams in 2025 and apply to uni for September 2025, you don’t have to wait until 2026 unless that’s what you want. I actually got B,C,D in my 2023 exams, and I’m retaking this year and predicted A*AA. I got offers from City, Bath and Warwick. City and Bath require AAA and Warwick requires A*AA and none of them seemed to be bothered by me retaking. Especially if you are only going to be missing the grade by one, it’s definitely not a big deal. Due to my mental health, I missed my previous offer for Warwick by a lot, but when reapplying for September this year I managed to get an offer again. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Original post by isabellaeng
Hi! I’m resitting my A Levels. First of all, yes you would resist your exams in 2025 and apply to uni for September 2025, you don’t have to wait until 2026 unless that’s what you want. I actually got B,C,D in my 2023 exams, and I’m retaking this year and predicted A*AA. I got offers from City, Bath and Warwick. City and Bath require AAA and Warwick requires A*AA and none of them seemed to be bothered by me retaking. Especially if you are only going to be missing the grade by one, it’s definitely not a big deal. Due to my mental health, I missed my previous offer for Warwick by a lot, but when reapplying for September this year I managed to get an offer again. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

if you don't mind me asking, what course did you apply for and what a levels are you doing? good luck w ur exams btw
Original post by Anonymous594
if you don't mind me asking, what course did you apply for and what a levels are you doing? good luck w ur exams btw

Hi, I applied for Accounting and Finance both times. I’m taking Maths, Economics and Psychology. Achieved grades last year were D,B,C respectively. This year predicted A* Econ and A’s for Maths and Psych.

Quick Reply