B - computer science
C - physics
C - english lit
C - drama
C - food and nutrition
D - english lang (A after retake)
D - history
D - global perspectives

for my a levels i just say A level maths and am expecting a high A*. i also just self sat AS further math and am expecting a grade on track for an A* aswell cus i put in a lot of work. my physics teacher is predicting an A for me but i am sure if i do well in internal end of years he will predict an A*.

will the 3A*s “save” my bad gcses? can i still apply to schools outside the US and UK with these? and finally, will i have to take a gap year cus of my poor igcses?
Original post by timm286
hi guys i messed up my gcses pretty bad and here are the results:

A - maths
B - computer science
C - physics
C - english lit
C - drama
C - food and nutrition
D - history
D - global perspectives

for my a levels i just say A level maths and am expecting a high A*. i also just self sat AS further math and am expecting a grade on track for an A* aswell cus i put in a lot of work. my physics teacher is predicting an A for me but i am sure if i do well in internal end of years he will predict an A*.

will the 3A*s “save” my bad gcses? can i still apply to schools outside the US and UK with these? and finally, will i have to take a gap year cus of my poor igcses?

Most UK universities (even most "good" ones) are only interested in GCSE Maths and/or GCSE English Language; you have an A in both.

This doesn't apply to all UK universities (I wouldn't suggest applying to Oxford with those grades, for example) - but it does apply to most.

What they're all much more interested in are your A level grades - actual or predicted. And you seem to be on top of those. :smile:

Do you have any idea to which universities you'd like to apply, and for what sort of course?

(I've no idea about US universities, or those outside the UK generally, I'm afraid.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Most UK universities (even most "good" ones) are only interested in GCSE Maths and/or GCSE English Language; you have an A in both.
This doesn't apply to all UK universities (I wouldn't suggest applying to Oxford with those grades, for example) - but it does apply to most.
What they're all much more interested in are your A level grades - actual or predicted. And you seem to be on top of those. :smile:
Do you have any idea to which universities you'd like to apply, and for what sort of course?
(I've no idea about US universities, or those outside the UK generally, I'm afraid.)
hi sorry, my direct reply is not working idk why. idk which country i want to apply to but for courses i am looking at: math, math + cs, math + stats, physics, stats + cs.
Original post by timm286
hi sorry, my direct reply is not working idk why. idk which country i want to apply to but for courses i am looking at: math, math + cs, math + stats, physics, stats + cs.

Understood. I was hoping to be able to provide some more specific guidance. However, as you've yet to settle on a country (let alone short-list any individual universities), you're effectively asking: "How does every university in the world treat GCSEs?"

As I don't know the answer to that question (nor does anyone else, I would imagine) I'll just let my original response stand.
Original post by timm286
A - maths
B - computer science
C - physics
C - english lit
C - drama
C - food and nutrition
D - history
D - global perspectives

Most UK universities dont really care about GCSEs other than English Language and Maths and usually they expect at least grade C in these sometimes higher dependent on your degree subject. Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and maybe a couple of others will but generally you will get into good universities if you have 5 GCSEs at C above as long as you get good A level grades.

Bristol for example are known to score GCSEs 20% A levels 80% so GCSE have little impact.

Bath as an example look for A grade Maths for things like Psychology and Computer Science and your GCSE grades seem to be fine there.

I cannot comment on overseas universities as dont know what their requirements are and it is likely nobody on here will be able to help you.

Based on your post I suspect there will be many very good universities in the UK who will accept you but you do need to check each individual university's entrance requirements.

Generally Oxbridge and top London universities will be less likely to accept you than very good regional universities such as Bristol, Bath and Exeter.
Original post by timm286
A - maths
B - computer science
C - physics
C - english lit
C - drama
C - food and nutrition
D - history
D - global perspectives

I'd say you still have a chance with your high predicted A-level grades. Engage in lots of extracurriculars (or supercurriculars if you're going for Oxbridge), study hard for any entrance exams etc to boost the rest of your application and make up for your gcse grades.

Quick Reply